Skills Test Jitters

Harvey

Forum Lieutenant
My Emt-B course is winding down, and its time for formal skills tests. I feel confident about the written exams. However, I am rushing through the skill and wind up forgetting something. The trauma and medical assessments are the thorn in my side. so to speak. Any helpful tips or suggestions, besides "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" Thanks guys an gals!

wadford

Forum Crew Member
Right before my class went to do our practical stations, our instructor held a class to run down all the skills and assessments. He told us that when we got there, other classes would most likely be huddled together with their skills sheets. He told us that there would be an "Anxiety Cloud" and that we were to avoid that at all costs! Don't rush, and when your in the skill stations remember to breathe, take a minute to look over the equipment that you have available to you in the station. If you see something that you need, ask for it. Verbalize everything! At this point you either know it or you don't. More than likely the evaluators know the difference between test anxiety and complete lack of knowledge. You'll do fine, don't forget to breathe! Good luck and let us know how you do!

Raquel

Forum Probie
I would get really nervous also and rush, i know how you feel!
Just focus on speaking slowly...that helped me. The medical and trauma assesments have alot of similar steps, make sure you know those steps and half the trouble is done.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
I also get nervous and rush. One thing you can do is when they read you the scenario start to think about what is going on. Usually you can figure what the medical problem is before you even begin. However do NOT get tunnel vision and only focus on the one area you think it is. For my medical assessment I had a pt with AMS and I was able to gather that from the evaluator reading the scenario. For trauma assessment they put make on the pt's in an effort to make the injuries look as real as possible. Don't let that throw you off your game.

Right before my class went to do our practical stations, our instructor held a class to run down all the skills and assessments. He told us that when we got there, other classes would most likely be huddled together with their skills sheets. He told us that there would be an "Anxiety Cloud" and that we were to avoid that at all costs! Don't rush, and when your in the skill stations remember to breathe, take a minute to look over the equipment that you have available to you in the station. If you see something that you need, ask for it. Verbalize everything! At this point you either know it or you don't. More than likely the evaluators know the difference between test anxiety and complete lack of knowledge. You'll do fine, don't forget to breathe! Good luck and let us know how you do!

I completely agree with your instructor. A couple of hours before any test I put away all my study materials and I don't talk to others about the test I just try to relax.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Honestly I was ready toi have a panic attack at my first station (medical). If it wasnt for the station proctors words of encouragement i wouldnt have made it through the day. Just breathe, you know the sheets whether you think you do or not. Its been drilled into your head all through class. Take a deep breath and let your training take over

wadford

Forum Crew Member
Its nerve racking for sure! After every station I just sat there and mentally went over everything that I did. The whole thing took over half the day so the wait to find out I passed was pretty long, which meant there was more time to freak out about whatever little mistake I made.

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
Our instructor used the class before the practicals to run through everything with the students and question/answer period and review. He also said everything would be set up that Saturday (8 hours allotted).

Before he dismissed everyone that night, he told everyone to have a relaxing Friday evening and not to pick up any book before class. Not sure how many people took that advice, as one of my fellow students had a panic attack during the first practical.

After all other previous schools, I've found out that nothing can be accomplished by any last-minute cramming. I do a light review the day before, get a good dinner and a good night's rest. This method has served me well over the years.

L.anaKnits786

Forum Ride Along
I have my first practical exam next week also and I am ridiculiously nervous. I have a lot of info in my head in a pretty solid order but I'm worried about time. Each of my instructors have said that I need to shave down my assessments by a few minutes. Does anyone know if you fail if you don't collar and backboard in 10 mins?

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
It's natural to get into a rhythm when you're practicing and you rush. You have a decent amount of time at the test station, so find some places you can work some mental breaks into your routine. For example, I take a couple of extra seconds after the scene size-up, ABCs and trauma assessment portions of PA. I quickly review what I did -- even restate it if I think I missed something.

So far, it's worked for me and I've not yet failed any stations in my cert or re-cert tests.