Should I wait

allvitals09

Forum Crew Member
Hey folks

My basic class is about halfway over now and I have been wondering if I should volunteer at the local service for a while before taking the medic class. I was thinking about 6 months to a year working as a basic. I figured I needed to find out if this is what I want to do before investing the time and money.

E

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
i think it would be very beneficial to get some experience in the field before stepping up to medic

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Might be nice to get some time on a unit (but by no means mandatory unless required by the paramedic school you apply to), but do not let it delay your progression to paramedic. Maybe volunteer after acceptance to medic school in the months proceeding the first day of class. Worst mistake EMTs make is they end up spending years as an EMT and try to justify it by saying they are not ready to go to paramedic school yet. I have simply found this not to be the case.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Have you checked to see if you have any required time in the field in your area before medic school? You probably have, but if you haven't, it's something to think about. :)

OP
OP
allvitals09

allvitals09

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I have looked into it and my medic class does not require any time on a unit. A lot of people in the class came right from basic class. The only thing I am wondering about is after getting my basic the investment of time and money...I have already done the whole one year of college thing and that left a little bit of debt to deal with.

IrishMedic

Forum Crew Member
hey, everyone is different and you will get a lot of different advice from people...everyone is different some will benefit going straight into Medic Class, Some benefit better by getting 6 months to a years service (Experience), Some May need to have a few years service before applying for Medic School, My advice is do what is right for you, what you feel will be right for you....We all know that This career isnt the highest paying, so if you are trying to avoid any debt, try saving and getting experience, it'll maybe relief some stress....any less stress when studying will help greatly...Good luck with it anyway and good luck with your current class..

OP
OP
allvitals09

allvitals09

Forum Crew Member
Both sides

I have talked to people from both sides of the argument, and they both say the same thing. It is either that the best thing to do is go straight to medic school, or wait about 6 months till going for your medic. I am going to wait. Again it comes down to the educational blunder that i made before and not wanting to repeat my mistakes. Thank you guys for your input.

EMT.Hart

Forum Probie
Hey folks

My basic class is about halfway over now and I have been wondering if I should volunteer at the local service for a while before taking the medic class. I was thinking about 6 months to a year working as a basic. I figured I needed to find out if this is what I want to do before investing the time and money.

E

exactly what I'm doing.

traumaangel26

Forum Crew Member
If u enjoy being an EMT u will most likely enjoy being a medic. Pay attention to what the medics do when you are doing ride time and see if thats what you want to do.B)

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Because your considerations are time and money, becoming a medic is not a "have to" thing for you, which it is for a lot of us. So I'd say you're on the right track -- really see if you're in to it before you invest a lot.

The truth is, unless you are willing to invest a lot (on more levels than you suspect!) you won't stick it out; time and money are the smallest parts of the equation!

Getting out there for a while before deciding to commit won't be wasted time. Personally, I think the basics are challenge enough for the first year or so. Scene and time management, appropriate priority setting, driving, questioning, communicating, troubleshooting; spending conscious time on these things builds a very strong foundation for you to stand on in your advanced work. The name of the game is to get where you take action automatically. I see it as developing a way of being that supports your advanced work.

Also, you can learn this sooner or later, but you WILL learn it. You are working with human beings. The more quickly you establish connection with them, establish safety for them, inspire confidence in you, and also help them feel they have some control over their own lives, the more easy will your job become. Don't kid yourself, this takes time to develop and it's one of the most powerful tools you'll have in your bag of tricks.

Without the distractions of the bells and whistles, in the absence of procedures and protocols to hide behind, you'll learn to face your patients and enlist them in the healing process. As woo-woo as this sounds, it's still the truth: you are an agent of something bigger; whatever you call the Great Whatever that really does the healing.

Learning the science is easy. Learning the art is hard.

OP
OP
allvitals09

allvitals09

Forum Crew Member
Thanks fire that was really helpful and insightful too.

EMT_TIFFANY

Forum Probie
Im finishing my 1st quarter of paramedic, I had no experience prior to entering the course, the only experience I had was clincals from my EMT-B. In my area there are no volunteer stations that allow out of township to run (aka city folk). It's been a struggle to keep up with the other students who seem to know so much more information. I work full time, married w/ a 2 year old. As long as you study (which I don't get to do to often) you can do well.
I maintain a decent grade, but my recommendation is if you have the opportunity to volunteer at a station....DO IT!!!!! Life will be so much easier during you medic class.