Should I take EMT-B Course

AthensTech09

Forum Probie
I'm surprised as many still DO go in. Its harder this year than the year before, and every year's the same!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I will reiterate quickly, AJ. Depending on what university the OP ends up at, he may be a great asset to the school's EMS group. Worth looking in to.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I will reiterate quickly, AJ. Depending on what university the OP ends up at, he may be a great asset to the school's EMS group. Worth looking in to.
Sure, but again, that is over a year from now. He will have forgotten most of what he learned by then. Not a good idea.

scooter205

Forum Ride Along
Sure, but again, that is over a year from now. He will have forgotten most of what he learned by then. Not a good idea.

Hey man... You don't know that for sure. Just because he is a bit young don't mean that he wont be able to remember the stuff. And for the comment about in a year he will be like someone who has never taken an emt course, not true. As long as he keep up with his stuff, and keeps studying the stuff, then he could be one of the best EMT's in his area. And for the not many agencies will hire an 18 year old emt. Maybe not many will, but someone will somewhere. That will help give him the field experience that he needs until he is older to get into a bigger service. just saying. I am 18, finished my EMT-B class, don't have my licence yet, but have a few services that are waiting for me to get the licence so they can hire me. All he has to do is don't give up if one says no, because there are bound to be far more that will say yea. B)

OP
OP
M

mattems

Forum Ride Along
Hey man... You don't know that for sure. Just because he is a bit young don't mean that he wont be able to remember the stuff. And for the comment about in a year he will be like someone who has never taken an emt course, not true. As long as he keep up with his stuff, and keeps studying the stuff, then he could be one of the best EMT's in his area. And for the not many agencies will hire an 18 year old emt. Maybe not many will, but someone will somewhere. That will help give him the field experience that he needs until he is older to get into a bigger service. just saying. I am 18, finished my EMT-B class, don't have my licence yet, but have a few services that are waiting for me to get the licence so they can hire me. All he has to do is don't give up if one says no, because there are bound to be far more that will say yea. B)

Yea ive thought about what was shared here and a part of me wants to wait, and another wants to do it now. I want to retain my knowledge, but i feel like if I was to do EMS at my college, which is looking like a great possibility, then i think Id want to wait until next year to take a course.

Joseph1991

Forum Ride Along
Wow you are me 2 years ago and now im no where, 18 years old. I was in your situation almost exactly. I wanted to be an EMT for the same reason as you and i thought it was an interesting carrer. I talked to stations around Atlanta and they said I won't have a carrer in being an EMT or Paramedic because I have Epilepsy, the Navy turned me down because they found out I have Epilepsy, freaking Burger King turned me down because I have Epilepsy ("It might be a danger to the other employees and we don't want to have to worry about you having a seizure." <-- Exact words) which has to be illegal. So I am 18 years old, with GED, and no job. I hope you don't end up in my situation. Now I don't know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator: