Should I let my certification lapse?

BuddingEMT

Forum Probie
I got certified in 2009 as an EMT-Basic in Texas. I am currently getting my bachelor's degree, but once I graduate, I want to go on to paramedic school and become a full time paramedic.
Because of school, I haven't worked as an EMT, but I have been volunteering as a standby for sports and other events.
I want to move to Colorado after I graduate (I am graduating in May 2012), by which time my certification in Texas will expire.

So my question is- should I just let it expire and start over (will the training in the two states differ?) or should I take steps to transfer my certification from Texas to Colorado and then do paramedic school in Colorado?
Also, I have checked into the accredited paramedic programs in Colorado, but does anyone have any personal experience with any of them? I was looking specifically at the programs in Denver, but am willing to go wherever.

bearmedic

Forum Probie
This sounds like what I did. Try to keep it I had to retake mine when I went back to for my medic degree

Sent from my iPhone using T

CUjays34

Forum Probie
Check first

It's been a while for me but to start P school, I think we needed our b cert. Hell, it might have been A back then. I also let my P lapse 10 yrs ago but I am in the process of getting it back. It's not a huge deal if it lapses. Just need to do the refreshers, your BLS, ACLS, PALS, and PHTLS at least for P and then retake the tests.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
It's been a while for me but to start P school, I think we needed our b cert. Hell, it might have been A back then. I also let my P lapse 10 yrs ago but I am in the process of getting it back. It's not a huge deal if it lapses. Just need to do the refreshers, your BLS, ACLS, PALS, and PHTLS at least for P and then retake the tests.

Depends on the state. Just keep it.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Just keep it, Go take one of those 24 hour refresher courses to knock out your CEU's.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Your NREMT last for 2 years... your Texas lasts for 4. If you are continuing on to medic, keep your Texas EMT current and just get the NR for your Paramedic when it's time... then don't let THAT lapse.

Or just attempt the test.

zmedic

Forum Captain
The answer is it is almost always easier to recert or get resiprocity than to go through the course again. You also may be sure that you know what state you are moving to years down the road, but life changes.