Should i jump right into a paramedic school?

Judeau

Forum Crew Member
Once i finish my EMT-B class, should i hop right into paramedical school. My teacher told me to work as a EMT-B and see if this is the kind of career path i want to partake in. If i do decide to work as a EMT-B and hold off college; how long should i work before trying to become a paramedic?

SliceOfLife

Forum Crew Member
In my class we had a kid make it all the way to ride time. All that was left was for him to finish riding and take his written. He quit!

He was one of the students who completed the basic program on Monday and started the medic program on Friday. Literally.

It's a shame to waste all that time, effort and money then get the reality check when it all comes together in the field. Make sure it's what you want to do.

OP
OP
J

Judeau

Forum Crew Member
In my class we had a kid make it all the way to ride time. All that was left was for him to finish riding and take his written. He quit!

He was one of the students who completed the basic program on Monday and started the medic program on Friday. Literally.

It's a shame to waste all that time, effort and money then get the reality check when it all comes together in the field. Make sure it's what you want to do.

:eek: yea, i know what you mean. I'll just work as an EMT to make sure this is what i want to do in life. I'm only 18 and i wanted to be so many things before i left high school lol. So this will be the first step to my life. Not very optimistic though :(

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
:eek: yea, i know what you mean. I'll just work as an EMT to make sure this is what i want to do in life. I'm only 18 and i wanted to be so many things before i left high school lol. So this will be the first step to my life. Not very optimistic though :(

Is taking your Medic at a cc or university possible for you. If so you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. And if you end up not liking the job you will at least be able to put it towards another degree.

xxTriNakedxx

Forum Probie
I agree although it's a lot of work. Dedication and determination are a must going through paramedic school. If you're unsure, try some ride alongs even... different stations will do different things in terms of the majority of their calls. So in that sense, make sure you know the dominant call type for each station.

Some are predominantly 911, some are transports, some are a combo of both.

The station I run for is 3rd due in 911's but we are attached to a fire department so we end up running with them as well. In the EMS world though, we are 95% transports.

cdrcems

Forum Ride Along
It's time to go to medic school when your comfortable in your scope of practice.
Let's say your on a BLS truck and your sent to a Chest Pain call. In my state the treatment would be 02, iv, ASA if no alergelys, NTG if b/p permits and call for ALS intersept. You run a trauma and you understand the need for a level one. Shortness of breath call and you place pt on Dou-neb. You get the point. If you wait till you've seen it all you'll never go. Good luck.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I have a question?

Do people ever take a prerequisite course to accounting school, advertizing school, nursing school, etc?

Why do paralegal instructors not tell people they should work as a paralegal before law school?

Why do doctors not have to work as a PA or medic or nurse before medical school?

Answering my own question:

Because many EMS instructors are products of vocational education.

You have to work as an apprentice before you are a pipefitter, mason, carpenter, etc.

Is that what you want to be? A skilled tradesman?

They preach be comfortable as an EMT first because most of them struggled like hell to pass paramedic class. All that book learning stuff you have to memorize. Most medic programs are ranked as a sophmore level college course.

So if you went to EMT trade school (did that myself) and found yourself in a sophmore college class with no prior academic work (didn't do this myself), nobody should be surprised you found it very difficult. It might even be the toughest thing you ever do in your life.

If you are academically inclined, you will have no problem with paramedic school.

Be extremely suspect of anyone who says you need to work as an EMT before going to medic school in the US.

In the words of Leonardo, "Poor is the student who doesn't exceed his master."

Strive not to be a poor student.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
Do people ever take a prerequisite course to accounting school, advertizing school, nursing school, etc?

Why do paralegal instructors not tell people they should work as a paralegal before law school?

Why do doctors not have to work as a PA or medic or nurse before medical school?

Answering my own question:

Because many EMS instructors are products of vocational education.

You have to work as an apprentice before you are a pipefitter, mason, carpenter, etc.

Is that what you want to be? A skilled tradesman?

They preach be comfortable as an EMT first because most of them struggled like hell to pass paramedic class. All that book learning stuff you have to memorize. Most medic programs are ranked as a sophmore level college course.

So if you went to EMT trade school (did that myself) and found yourself in a sophmore college class with no prior academic work (didn't do this myself), nobody should be surprised you found it very difficult. It might even be the toughest thing you ever do in your life.

If you are academically inclined, you will have no problem with paramedic school.

Be extremely suspect of anyone who says you need to work as an EMT before going to medic school in the US.

In the words of Leonardo, "Poor is the student who doesn't exceed his master."

Strive not to be a poor student.

I tend to agree with everything Veneficus said, however there is one crucial point that should also be considered. Unlike all of the other degree-dependent professions stated above, a degree in Paramedicine (or more likely, a certificate) qualifies you to be a Paramedic...no more, no less.

Someone with an accounting degree, for instance, could relatively easily find themselves another position in finance or business with little or no additional schooling if they find that accounting isn't for them. This is true of many bachelors-level and higher degrees. Even a BSN offers more flexibility in terms of careers if one knows where to look.

The bottom line, I suppose, is that I see nothing wrong with paramedic school right out of the gate, as long as you are confident in your decision to work in EMS or comfortable with the knowledge that if it doesn't work out you'll likely be starting from square one.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I tend to agree with everything Veneficus said, however there is one crucial point that should also be considered. Unlike all of the other degree-dependent professions stated above, a degree in Paramedicine (or more likely, a certificate) qualifies you to be a Paramedic...no more, no less.

Someone with an accounting degree, for instance, could relatively easily find themselves another position

I have noticed that the factor with the greatest influence on both the type of job and the quality of job a paramedic can get is the individual ability to go to the job.

I see many paramedics who are trapped in their location for one reason or another.

In oversaturated markets this is especially problematic.

I am always amazed at the amount of basics from CA here complaining of the job market.

In Northeast Ohio, the job market for basics is almost non existent. (too many EMTs and services that only hire medics or pay less than McDs) Consequently most students see a paramedic cert as their entry level requirement.

Seems only reasonable that the only workable strategy is to either move, go to paramedic school, or both.

I suspect that is valid in any location where there is a glut of providers and relatively few positions or undesirable positions.

OP
OP
J

Judeau

Forum Crew Member
Thanks guys! Awesome answers. I think i will become a emt-b either volunteer or as a job. I'm still looking for my future career, but so far im very interested in emt-b :)

mct601

RN/NRP
Get experience in the field first. I agree with Veneficus to a degree- but most situations with the trades he listed have a supporting cast. In EMS, you might get on with a rural service and be depended upon to call the shots at a major trauma scene in your first week of EVER being in EMS. I waited a year and I'm glad I did- and while I won't say I'm smart, I will say I'm academically inclined after taking 65 hours of classes in college. EMS is unique. Yes, you will get ride time as a medic student- but you could be like me. I've done 6 or 7 12 hr shifts so far. Guess what? 4 emergency calls and one ALS transfer. The rest have been BLS transfers. If I didn't have prior field experience I'd be lost.