Sexual Assault Calls Advice for male EMT

SwansonJohn99

Forum Probie
So I'm a male EMT for a private ambulance company that contracts with my city for BLS 911 responses. Several weeks ago I was paired with a female FTO and we received a call to an attempted sexual assault. My female partner did vitals and assessment and I gathered demographics and patient information from the Police on scene. The patient wound up refusing transport and going with the Police to be questioned or look and mug shots or whatever.

Anyway last night I was partnered with a male Crew Chief and we responded to mid 30s* female for an unspecified assault. Being new to the company the crew chief asked me the name of the hospital we take sexual assault victims to and I gave him the correct answer. "But," I said to him "We wouldn't get a sexual assault call because we're both male and there's a crew at the station that has a female EMT."

My partner explained that first, segregating calls based on gender is illegal (Which for the record I've got no problem with and should have realized was a dumb thing to say) and second sometimes there isn't a crew with a female available or dispatch makes an error. Fortunately this one turned out to be a physical assault following a confrontation with a relative.*

But it left me wondering, because outside of the Special Patient Populations lecture during EMT Class, where we, men, were told a female victim would probably be a lot more comfortable with a female EMT/Police officer/Firefighter on scene, I got no real training for SA Calls. So I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips and tricks for these calls when it's me and another male EMT.

* Changed for Patient Privacy

VentMonkey

Family Guy
So I'm a male EMT for a private ambulance company that contracts with my city for BLS 911 responses. Several weeks ago I was paired with a female FTO and we received a call to an attempted sexual assault. My female partner did vitals and assessment and I gathered demographics and patient information from the Police on scene. The patient wound up refusing transport and going with the Police to be questioned or look and mug shots or whatever.

Anyway last night I was partnered with a male Crew Chief and we responded to mid 30s* female for an unspecified assault. Being new to the company the crew chief asked me the name of the hospital we take sexual assault victims to and I gave him the correct answer. "But," I said to him "We wouldn't get a sexual assault call because we're both male and there's a crew at the station that has a female EMT."

My partner explained that first, segregating calls based on gender is illegal (Which for the record I've got no problem with and should have realized was a dumb thing to say) and second sometimes there isn't a crew with a female available or dispatch makes an error. Fortunately this one turned out to be a physical assault following a confrontation with a relative.*

But it left me wondering, because outside of the Special Patient Populations lecture during EMT Class, where we, men, were told a female victim would probably be a lot more comfortable with a female EMT/Police officer/Firefighter on scene, I got no real training for SA Calls. So I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips and tricks for these calls when it's me and another male EMT.

* Changed for Patient Privacy
http://www.jems.com/articles/print/...esponding-to-sexually-assaulted-patients.html

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
@SwansonJohn99 if you can message me, I worked as a Sex offender Social worker for a few months before working S.O caseloads for parole, i can give you some LE advice i was given, most of it applies to EMS.

That article is also very good.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I encourage everybody to look at the chain of Custody for Sexual Assault evidence, so the evidence is usable in court. Some things can get very nit picky, but it may help lead to another conviction.

Edit: this link may help
https://ovc.ncjrs.gov/sartkit/develop/issues-coc.html