Setting up SoCal AEMT clinical rotations

SoCalCanuck

Forum Probie
I'm going to be taking an AEMT course this September and would like to do my clinical rotations close to home rather than at the school which is in another state. I still have to go to campus for a couple of weeks of labs and practicals, but staying in SoCal would for rotations would save me time and money. While there are local paramedic programs, there are none for AEMT, so there's no local school affiliation.

Anyone have experience on arranging AEMT clinical rotations locally (ideally San Diego)? Do I approach the director of a local ER? Med school? Bribe someone? Any help welcomed.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I have a feeling you may have an extremely difficult time with your plan. AEMT is not a very popular certification level in CA with only a very few actually utilizing them. I don’t believe San Diego county is one of them. So you are asking to have clinical hours for a certificate that no one in your area uses.

On top of that you are also going to run into the issue of COVID. Hospitals have greatly reduced the amount of people on site with many hospitals still not taking any students.

Most hospitals want an agreement with the school before they will allow any students to set foot on their grounds.

OP
OP
S

SoCalCanuck

Forum Probie
I have a feeling you may have an extremely difficult time with your plan. AEMT is not a very popular certification level in CA with only a very few actually utilizing them. I don’t believe San Diego county is one of them. So you are asking to have clinical hours for a certificate that no one in your area uses.

On top of that you are also going to run into the issue of COVID. Hospitals have greatly reduced the amount of people on site with many hospitals still not taking any students.

Most hospitals want an agreement with the school before they will allow any students to set foot on their grounds.

Yeah I know hence my challenge. The school will cover my liability insurance and all that stuff but getting my foot in the door at a hospital is the biggest problem. I just realized that my trauma surgeon is head of the med school trauma program. She might be the person to butter up. I need to find out what her vice is and go get her some. Hopefully it's a preference of bathtub gin.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
I’m curious what scope you would be working under? National AEMT? I feel like I remember seeing AEMT protocols in one of the various SoCal counties I’ve worked but no one utilized them.

I’m assuming your program is online. They must have past experience with SoCal students, right? What do they say about past student clinical destinations?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I’m curious what scope you would be working under? National AEMT? I feel like I remember seeing AEMT protocols in one of the various SoCal counties I’ve worked but no one utilized them.

I’m assuming your program is online. They must have past experience with SoCal students, right? What do they say about past student clinical destinations?
Riverside County has established protocols for AEMTs however there is no established process to certify anyone at the AEMT level nor are they being utilized by any agency.

OP
OP
S

SoCalCanuck

Forum Probie

This is for a part time gig in another state where they use AEMT. It's basically to help a friend out, although it certainly is no skin off my nose to expand my knowledge base at the same time. I don't think there's anywhere in SoCal that uses AEMT although I thought I saw some in NorCal.

It's a hybrid course with practicals and field rotations done in Vegas. Driving to LV for clinicals wouldn't be the end of the world but I'd rather be here. From what I gather they haven't had anyone from San Diego, most likely because nobody here goes for AEMT for the reasons stated above.

Last edited:

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
No Hospital is going to create a “one off” clinical program for you. There are multiple issues with affiliating with a program, and it’s not just done at the whim of a trauma surgeon friend.

Just do the clinicals in LV. They are set up for it, it’s fun, and tax deductible.

OP
OP
S

SoCalCanuck

Forum Probie
Ex
No Hospital is going to create a “one off” clinical program for you. There are multiple issues with affiliating with a program, and it’s not just done at the whim of a trauma surgeon friend.

Just do the clinicals in LV. They are set up for it, it’s fun, and tax deductible.

I hadn't thought of the tax deductable part. That actually adds a whole new positive twist to it. Good point. Thanks.

MedicFF

Forum Probie

That’s not true. I arranged a portion of my paramedic clinical at a SoCal hospital, during the height of COVID nonetheless, and it was all thanks to a relationship I had with the head ED physician.