school does not offer emt-I

nevets_eural

Forum Crew Member
have a quick question about emt school. i am enrolled to attend emt-b in jan. and thats good but after i finish i will have the summer off and then attend paramedic school due to the fact that the school does not have an emt intermediate course. the instructor said that emt-I is pretty much incorporated with there emt-p course. so i was just wondering if this was good or bad, or if i would just be getting a crash course in everything and hope my field exp. would make up for what is lost

reaper

Working Bum
What state are you in?

Some states do not even use EMT-I, so they may not teach it. Some schools have it to wear you test for intermediate, after halfway through medic class.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
also the emt-p course is 2 semesters long and the emt-b is only one semester

emt-b for one semester sounds about normal but only 2 semesters for medic? that seems a bit short. even just the certificate programs that i've looked at have been atleast 3 semesters.

reaper

Working Bum
There are a lot of texas people on here. Post the name of the school. I'm sure they can tell you if it is any good or not.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I just looked on the Paris website. It seems they do have a EMT-I program. That one is 2 semesters. The medic program is 3 if you can handle the pace.

CERTIFICATE IN EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN - PARAMEDIC
(42 Credit Hours)
Prerequisites:
EMSP 1501*.........Introduction To The Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
EMSP 1160*............................. Clinical Basic - Emergency Medical Technician
First Semester
EMSP 1161*...................................................................... Paramedic Clinical I
MDCA 1309............................ Anatomy and Physiology for Medical Assistants
EMSP 1356*.................................Patient Assessment and Airway Management
EMSP 1438*.................................................Introduction to Advanced Practice
EMSP 2348*........................................Emergency Medical Services Operations
Second Semester
EMSP 1162***..................................................................Paramedic Clinical II
EMSP 1355*.....................................................................Trauma Management
EMSP 2160*....................................................................Paramedic Clinical III
EMSP 2330*........................................................................Special Populations
EMSP 2434*.....................................................................Medical Emergencies
EMSP 2444*.....................................................................................Cardiology
Third Semester
EMSP 2143*..................................................... Assessment Based Management
EMSP 2266***...Practicum (Field Experience) - EMT/Technician or Paramedic
EMSP 2338*........................................Emergency Medical Services Operations
* Denotes EMS Course
** BIOL 2401 or BIOL 2402 may be subsituted for MDCA 1309
*** Course contains an external capstone (field) experience.

http://www.parisjc.edu/downloads/catalog2008/ems.pdf

OP
OP
N

nevets_eural

Forum Crew Member
thats the way i says it in the book but the way the teacher explained it, it was just emt-b then emt-p, about 3 semesters but i might have misunderstood. i have to talk to him in a few days so i will ask again

OP
OP
N

nevets_eural

Forum Crew Member
geez only 15 min to edit a post good grief, any way my teacher said that it was just 1 semester for emt-b then 2 semesters for emt-p, and that they dont offer emt-I anymore since it all is covered in emt-p. my handbook shows that it is 6 total semesters for associate in applied science for emergency medicine and has emt-I included as you stated. but back to what my teacher said.....?????? so im a little confused with the whole thing anyway i guess i will just talk with them when class starts because there is obviously alot of things they left out in the initial talk/interview- like the cost of certification fees and what not wow . would think that that would be a major topic when explaining what to expect from class and the fees for everything. anyway god bless for taking the time to look into everything and i know it took a while to jot all that down so thanks

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Paris junior college, paris tx

Here's a side-note for you that has absolutely nothing to do with EMS, except it indirectly generates some of our patients.

French Fries were invented in Paris, Texas.

Yeah, that's right.

See, what happened was that there was a regional food fair somewhere in TX (I forget where, exactly), and someone showed up with these thin-cut potato strips that had been fried in lard. A judge liked them and asked the guy where he was from. The guy said "Paris" but the judge hadn't heard of Paris, Texas, and thought the guy meant Paris, France, so when he wrote a review of the fried potato strips, he called them "French Fries".

Now there are other theories you might hear about why potatoes prepared that way are called that, but this here is the true reason. :)

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
Most states dont have EMT-I, but I do agree, not including core classes, only 2 semesters for paramedic sounds short from my limited experience. Is the school accredited?

My school is 1 semester for EMT-I (we dont have basic in Georgia) and 4 for paramedic. We go Fall, Spring, Summer and Fall again

Testing is not included in tution cost here either, not sure why. Has something to do with if a person doesnt make it to Registery they can hold the money..

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
A lot of programs in TX (from what I'm seeing) use EMT-I as the first part of EMT-P courses. The school I'm going to starting in January does, but since I'm already an I, all I have to do is go for 3 semesters