San Luis Ambulance (CA)

Whittier

Forum Probie
Is there anyone currently working at (or has worked at recently) San Luis Ambulance? I would really appreciate being able to ask you some questions.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Whittier

Whittier

Forum Probie
What do you want to know?

I'd like to hear about what it's like working there from an employee's perspective. How satisfied are you with working there as a whole? What is the management like? How would you rate it in comparison to any other ambulance companies you have worked for? What is the job competition like in this area? As an EMT is it harder to get on full time or part time? What about for a medic?

I'd like to know as much of that as you, or anyone else can answer... plus whatever else you may wish to throw in as a bonus.

I appreciate your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

terrible one

Always wandering
Good company with good management. I'd say it's better than most other private companies in socal. Decent pay and nice equipment.
As far as job market it is very difficult around 30-40 EMTs for about 5 spots and 10-12 medics for 1-2 spots. They usually hire 1-2x a year. They actually just did hiring two weeks ago so next time won't be for about 6 months.
When your hired as an EMT you start as part time and then when some spots open up you can test to become full time.

OP
OP
Whittier

Whittier

Forum Probie
Good company with good management. I'd say it's better than most other private companies in socal. Decent pay and nice equipment.
As far as job market it is very difficult around 30-40 EMTs for about 5 spots and 10-12 medics for 1-2 spots. They usually hire 1-2x a year. They actually just did hiring two weeks ago so next time won't be for about 6 months.
When your hired as an EMT you start as part time and then when some spots open up you can test to become full time.

Awesome, that's the kind of information I needed to know. I have yet to find anyone to disagree as far as SLA being a good company to work for, but you're the first to give me some numbers to think over. I appreciate it.

Any idea what some of the better options are in the Santa Maria/ AG area?

terrible one

Always wandering
SLO co - San Luis ambulance, cambria healthcare district
SB co - AMR
Ven co - AMR, Gold Coast, Lifeline
Monterey co - AMR, Westmed, and others I'm not sure about
Kern co - Hall, Care, Liberty, Kern, and Delano Ambulance

that's pretty much all you got for 100ish miles in each direction from you

OP
OP
Whittier

Whittier

Forum Probie
SLO co - San Luis ambulance, cambria healthcare district
SB co - AMR
Ven co - AMR, Gold Coast, Lifeline
Monterey co - AMR, Westmed, and others I'm not sure about
Kern co - Hall, Care, Liberty, Kern, and Delano Ambulance

that's pretty much all you got for 100ish miles in each direction from you

Perfect! If you only knew how hard it's been to get direct and specific answers... :beerchug:

Thanks man.

terrible one

Always wandering
no prob, most of that stuff is available online. just check each counties EMS website and they usually list each company and their EOAs

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
Monterey county : AMR is the sole Emergency response Provider for the county. There is also Central Coast Ambulance, but they only do IFT's

MedicJon88

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone, I know this an old thread, but I'm considering completing the application process with SLA, but I don't want to waste my time without knowing their pay scale. I'm coming from a high needs area, and I'm aware that pay is going to be impacted working as a single function paramedic back in CA. But San Luis Obispo area is not cheap and would like to know what I'm getting into.