San Diego Medic schools

yzfpilot77

Forum Ride Along
So I'm starting to look into medic schools and have narrowed it down to EMSTA, palomar, and Riverside Community College. If you guys have heard about whether or not any of these schools are better than the other that would be great to have some feedback. Thanks

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
So I'm starting to look into medic schools and have narrowed it down to EMSTA, palomar, and Riverside Community College. If you guys have heard about whether or not any of these schools are better than the other that would be great to have some feedback. Thanks

Riverside is hardly San Diego. At any rate, I hear EMSTA is pretty good but expensive. Southwestern College in Chula Vista also has a medic program and it has a good rep.

FeatherWeight

Forum Crew Member
Palomar lets you pay for each class individually so if you do fail out you don't lose all of your $13,000

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
Southwestern, Palomar and EMSTA are all good programs. I don't know much about riverside.

It all boils down to what you are looking for in a school. Palomar has close ties to North County Fire Depts and may lead to a job in that area.

Southwestern is a solid program, the main drawback is that the campus for medic is pretty much on the border.

EMSTA is private, costs more than the other 2, is solid, and offers a student mentor program.

In regards to losing your money, i'm not sure about community college programs, but private schools offer rebates, pro-rated to your progress if you should fail out, as well as the ability to come back and repeat the class only having to pay for the part you haven't taken.

It takes a lot of research, but ultimately, talk to graduates from all the programs, get their likes and dislikes and choose the program that fits you best.

good luck.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
I liked RCC a lot. People hate on them for a variety of reasons, but PM me if you have specific questions.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
There's also NCTI. I'm a couple months into my program and it's been a fairly positive experience so far. The only thing I'm worried about is having trouble with clinicals and my internship because the school has a fairly poor reputation

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
There's also NCTI. I'm a couple months into my program and it's been a fairly positive experience so far. The only thing I'm worried about is having trouble with clinicals and my internship because the school has a fairly poor reputation

Long waits for internship suck. I'm precepting an NCTI student right now and he's pretty good, usual student issues, but no worse than some others, a lot is what you're willing to put into it outside of what the school will give you.