Same blue dye in M&Ms linked to reducing spine injury

Sasha

Forum Chief
This is nuts! But really cool. And the blue rat is cute!

Same blue dye in M&Ms linked to reducing spine injury
Full Article: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/07/28/spinal.injury.blue.dye/index.html
CNN) -- The same blue food dye found in M&Ms and Gatorade could be used to reduce damage caused by spine injuries, offering a better chance of recovery, according to new research.

Rats injected with BBG not only regained their mobility but temporarily turned blue.

1 of 2 Researchers at the University of Rochester Medical Center found that when they injected the compound Brilliant Blue G (BBG) into rats suffering spinal cord injuries, the rodents were able to walk again, albeit with a limp.

The only side effect was that the treated mice temporarily turned blue.

The results of the study, published in the "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences," build on research conducted by the same center five years ago.

In August 2004, scientists revealed how Adenosine triphosphate, which is known as ATP and described as the "energy currency of life," surges to the spinal cord soon after injury occurs.

Researchers found that the sudden influx of ATP killed off healthy cells, making the initial injury far worse. But when they injected oxidized ATP into the injury, it was found to block the effect of ATP, allowing the injured rats to recover and walk again.

"While we achieved great results when oxidized ATP was injected directly into the spinal cord, this method would not be practical for use with spinal cord-injured patients," said lead researcher Maiken Nedergaard, professor of Neurosurgery and director of the Center for Translational Neuromedicine at the University of Rochester Medical Center.

"First, no one wants to put a needle into a spinal cord that has just been severely injured, so we knew we needed to find another way to quickly deliver an agent that would stop ATP from killing healthy motor neurons. Second, the compound we initially used, oxidized ATP, cannot be injected into the bloodstream because of its dangerous side effects."

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah I'm wondering that too mate ... maybe M&Ms will become some sort of cure-all? I hope so, I really like them peanut ones! :p

MendoEMT

Forum Crew Member
Wow, that's pretty amazing. I'm always telling people that there is so much out there that is yet to be discovered! I'm sure that one day we'll discover that the cure to cancer is the peanuts in a Payday bar or the center of a jawbreaker.:)

DawnParr

Forum Crew Member
thats awesome! so does drinking gatorade or eating m&m's make you healthier? lol. pretty cool tho

willbeflight

Forum Lieutenant
That is awesome! Doctor's always tell you to eat really colorful foods! LOL That was the cutest blue mouse ever too. :)