?'s 4 medman

medman123

Forum Lieutenant
Ok, i was just thinking (I think I may think to much. see there i go again) but anyway how do you pick who is going to drive and who is going to treat the Pt? Also how long do you need to be an EMT-B unti you can become an EMT-I? Thanks for your help.
-Med

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It all depends on your service. Some services only allow a Paramedic to ever tech the patient no matter what, while others allow basics to tech non-emergencies, etc. For some it might depend upon seniority, level of training, etc.. On mine we alternate calls (we have all paramedics on my crew) so it is simple.

In regards to obtaining EMT/I it again depends on your local and state requirements. Some states require some time as a basic, while others allow immediate enrollment after completion of basic. Check with your local State EMS office.

R/r 911

Epi-do

I see dead people
Where I work, we alternate entire shifts. One shift I drive the entire shift, the next I tech all BLS the entire shift. I currently don't have a regular partner, so the guys rotate over off of the engine. Somedays our ambulance is BLS, and some days it is staffed ALS.

As for getting your EMT-I, like Rid already said, that just depends upon where you are at.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
At all of our services, the EMT-B can "choose" to tech a non-emergency call. The EMT-B cannot be "forced" to tech a call.

Most of the time I would tech all calls except for the ones a partner would suggest they could handle. Non ALS of course.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I try to tech as often as possible. Of course I am currently a student but when I was a tech, I used to tech all calls.

hangit

Forum Crew Member
i work for a private service. there are a lot of fireman working part-time who automatically head for the drivers seat. it's as if they don't know the back of the truck even exists. and lazy, wooo boy.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
If i'm on a ALS/BLS mixed crew... it really depends on who I have as a medic... there are a few who think that EVERY call should have an ALS assessement (including small lacerations and twisted ankles). I've also worked with medics who wanted to "play" becuase they don't see enough emergency... they usually work transport.

Of course, my favorite medic to work with has been doing EMS for much longer than I've been alive... and he has NO intrest in teching a run unless it is really needed.... so he'll often have me do an assesment first, to see if ALS is really needed or not... the same way we will often run "subject down" calls or OD's in the County... I'll recall ALS if the patient doesn't really need it.

As for "who drives":
When working an event, if the call starts off with an EMT providing care, and then upgrades to ALS... often the EMT who initiated care drives for the medic.

I try to drive whenever I work at the priviate co... because I only work a few shifts a month. If I'm with a non-driver, I always drive (duh). If I'm with a driver, then we'll sometimes rotate... on Saturday.. I worked a transport shift with a partner who CAN drive, but doesn't really like to... so I drove most of the day... we switched off for a while, because we put 200+ miles on the rig on a 12-hour shift... and I was tired.

Last edited by a moderator:

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
Ok, i was just thinking
That's going to get you in trouble some day. ;)

how do you pick who is going to drive and who is going to treat the Pt?
ALS/BLS crew: Depends on whether the patient needs ALS or BLS care
BLS crew: Usually is just a driver and an EMT in my area, so that's pretty easy to figure out. If we have more than one EMT who can drive on the call, just alternate, or see if the patient is getting along better with one provider than the other.
ALS crew: Alternate, or see if the patient is getting along better with one provider than the other.

Also how long do you need to be an EMT-B unti you can become an EMT-I?

Check your local prtocols, rules, regulations, etc.