Rural/metro?

BlackOut

Forum Crew Member
Anyone here been with or had an experience with Rural/Metro ambulance? I finish my EMT training next month and plan on taking my NR right away. I'm from CA (San Francisco Bay Area to be exact) and am moving down to San Diego to finish my degree at UCSD. Rural/Metro has the 911 contract down there and they work in conjunction with the SD Fire Department. Thanks in advance for the help!

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Are you specifically asking about a rural unit or is Rural/Metro the name of the company in the area?

If this helps, our informal settlements are classified as rural areas and sometimes special vehicles are needed to enter the central parts as our ordinary sedans and ambulances have difficulty to travel on the self-made roads.

Although, our rural areas are situated right in the middle of the suburbs.... strange, hey!? I take for example Soweto, there is about 8 million people that live there (according to last census) and right around it is bigger suburbs with less people.

I don't think we can technically classify it as rural anymore, but the maps still show it as rural.

The equipment stays the same, it is sometimes as mentioned just the vehicles that need to be replaced with off-road. It is a lot bumpier and uncomfortable for the patient and usually the area consists of only clinics and no real or major hospitals.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
He(?) is refering to a specific company that operates without the San Diego, California city limits.

Sorry, BlackOut, I'm a bit futher north, so, no help there.

OP
OP
BlackOut

BlackOut

Forum Crew Member
Are you specifically asking about a rural unit or is Rural/Metro the name of the company in the area?

If this helps, our informal settlements are classified as rural areas and sometimes special vehicles are needed to enter the central parts as our ordinary sedans and ambulances have difficulty to travel on the self-made roads.

Although, our rural areas are situated right in the middle of the suburbs.... strange, hey!? I take for example Soweto, there is about 8 million people that live there (according to last census) and right around it is bigger suburbs with less people.

I don't think we can technically classify it as rural anymore, but the maps still show it as rural.

The equipment stays the same, it is sometimes as mentioned just the vehicles that need to be replaced with off-road. It is a lot bumpier and uncomfortable for the patient and usually the area consists of only clinics and no real or major hospitals.

Rural/Metro is the the name of the ambulance company. I see where that could have been a little misleading. Thanks for you help anyways!

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
I am thinking about spending this summer in CA because they are desperate for EMT's while here in AZ no one is hiring. I asked my cousin who works for the FD in Julian. This is what she said:

Well you picked an awesome company. Rural Metro runs with San Diego City fire so they run all over San Diego and tons of calls. It's a pretty big company. I think it's a really good idea for you to do that. Unfortunatley at first you may end up with the crappy shifts and doing granny transports, but it would really help your resume to get that ambulance time on there. And who knows you may end up liking it and sticking with it for a while longer and end up running with a medic.

I emailed the R/M contact from their website and she suggested I apply in person. BlackOut: I would suggest applying now, even if you don't have your cert yet because they will wait for that.

Good luck! Hey, maybe we'll end up running calls together...
Jeremy

Eydawn

Forum Crew Member
Rural/Metro is a large corporation similar to AMR. They operate in many different states. As I live in Colorado, and am only familiar with Rural/Metro here, I can't offer much advice on how they run down in Cali.

I would say that going in person to check things out is a good idea. See if you can talk to some of the medics there and get an honest picture of the job, in terms of benefits, wages, working conditions, communication, etc. Also, see if you can do a 3rd ride with them prior to getting your cert, just as an observer... seeing the stuff first hand will be a large help, I should think.

Good luck!

Wendy
CO EMT-B

OP
OP
BlackOut

BlackOut

Forum Crew Member
I am thinking about spending this summer in CA because they are desperate for EMT's while here in AZ no one is hiring. I asked my cousin who works for the FD in Julian. This is what she said:

Well you picked an awesome company. Rural Metro runs with San Diego City fire so they run all over San Diego and tons of calls. It's a pretty big company. I think it's a really good idea for you to do that. Unfortunatley at first you may end up with the crappy shifts and doing granny transports, but it would really help your resume to get that ambulance time on there. And who knows you may end up liking it and sticking with it for a while longer and end up running with a medic.

I emailed the R/M contact from their website and she suggested I apply in person. BlackOut: I would suggest applying now, even if you don't have your cert yet because they will wait for that.

Good luck! Hey, maybe we'll end up running calls together...
Jeremy

Thanks for the info Jeremy,

Yeah I spoke to the HR woman in SD and she said that I should send my application in now. The thing is, is that I have to mail it in since I live here in Northern California and will move down to SD in the summer. I don't mind flying or driving down for an interview but doing so for turning in an application is out of the question. I also wouldn't mind moving early if they offered me a job. Maybe I'll see you down there, I'll be looking for Jeremy from AZ! Thanks

--Brian

OP
OP
BlackOut

BlackOut

Forum Crew Member
Rural/Metro is a large corporation similar to AMR. They operate in many different states. As I live in Colorado, and am only familiar with Rural/Metro here, I can't offer much advice on how they run down in Cali.

I would say that going in person to check things out is a good idea. See if you can talk to some of the medics there and get an honest picture of the job, in terms of benefits, wages, working conditions, communication, etc. Also, see if you can do a 3rd ride with them prior to getting your cert, just as an observer... seeing the stuff first hand will be a large help, I should think.

Good luck!

Wendy
CO EMT-B

Thanks for you help Wendy,

Yeah my training instructor who is a field supervisor for AMR says Rural/Metro is the second largest company, right behind AMR. They run more in the midwest but have the sole contract for 911 calls in San Diego, CA in conjunction with the fire dept. I'm going to need a job right away when I move since it costs so damn much to live in CA....I paid $3.95 a gallon the other day for gas, anyone have it worse?

santaclaraco

Forum Ride Along
Blackout, AMR does phone interviews every so often. So maybe Rural Metro will as well.

Good luck to you...if you don't get on with RM in San Diego, you can always apply at AMR in San Diego.

I find the best way to learn is when you get to spend a lot of time with your patients - so if your goal is to be a doctor, nurse, physical therapist or whatever...try not to think about the exciting part of the job; the ALS calls.

Try to think about how much good you can do in the world on a BLS call. When you get to spend a good 30 minutes with an elderly patient...and learn about WWII, or what life was like many years ago. Those are the calls that you will look back on and remember fondly - not the 9-1-1 calls....it won't always be those.

Good luck!