ROSC question for medics.

task

Forum Ride Along
Pt went into arrest in a restaurant, luckily for him a coworker EMT started CPR immediately. On scene we shocked him a couple of time, first round of meds ( 1 epi, 90 of lidocaine) ROSC he bit at my blade as i was trying to intubate. before we got in the truck i had him on a NRB. started a lidocaine drip. He was CAO during transport, C/C of CP then started our chest pain protocol, ASA and NTG before we got to the LZ. The PT went back to work at the restaurant 2 weeks later.

i have had several saves some with purposeful movement, and spontaneous respirations, You don't expect them to wake up and talk to you.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
You can watch someone in real life being de-fibbed by an AED and regain conciousness.

This was done in Sydney, I believe the young man had a pre-existing undiagnosed heart condition that caused him to go into VF while swimming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICODRFoWZkw

also good if you have never seen agonal resps before

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
You can watch someone in real life being de-fibbed by an AED and regain conciousness.

This was done in Sydney, I believe the young man had a pre-existing undiagnosed heart condition that caused him to go into VF while swimming

I love how ridiculously inaccurate the narrator is.

My favourite is: "A shot of maxolon will help stabilize taka". Now I know why all the arrests I go to die..I'm not treating their nausea. :lol:

Best CPR I ever saw on TV was on Surf Patrol. I tried to find a copy to show my Johnos how deep and violent it looks compared to TV CPR. Never did find one though.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I love how ridiculously inaccurate the narrator is.

My favourite is: "A shot of maxolon will help stabilize taka". Now I know why all the arrests I go to die..I'm not treating their nausea. :lol:

At least you go to arrests mate, I get lots of "ischaemic changes on 12 lead ECG" but no arrests. I think .... hang on

"Hello HEMS? Yes, yes, ok ta"
"Brow, its a go mate"
"What is it Oz, an arrest?"
"Afraid not mate, its an RTA, persons trapped, lot of calls saying its serious"
"Aw bloody hell you are the curse of me"

All set, very good, we're off ....

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
At least you go to arrests mate, I get lots of "ischaemic changes on 12 lead ECG" but no arrests. I think .... hang on

Just let them bake for a while. :p

dmiracco

Forum Crew Member
Absolutely, apparently your Instructors havent seen it before but that doesnt mean it cant happen so they are wrong. I have had this happen a handful of times.

zmedic

Forum Captain

That's a great video, I've been showing it to my classes for the last few years as a great example of a code save.

They do have to speed up their chest compressions though.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
That's a great video, I've been showing it to my classes for the last few years as a great example of a code save.

They do have to speed up their chest compressions though.

Indeed, I believe this episode was shot before they changed. Here in Aus we do 30:2 @ 100bpm for adults.

I had an arrest the other day where our medical director (Senior Emergency Doctor) came out. At one stage he jumped on compressions and was really pumping the guy- at around 120bpm

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Indeed, I believe this episode was shot before they changed. Here in Aus we do 30:2 @ 100bpm for adults.

I had an arrest the other day where our medical director (Senior Emergency Doctor) came out. At one stage he jumped on compressions and was really pumping the guy- at around 120bpm

Dr R came out for an arrrest? Man, he must had nothing better to do :D

I was given some advice not to "overcompress" the patient as apparently this does not allow sufficent itme for ventricular filling and will cause low cardiac output.