Roll Up for The Medical Mystery Tour!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
A bicyclist, wearing a full motorcycle helmet, is coasting downhill approaching a hairpin curve, maybe going 15 miles an hour. The road curves, he goes straight and jumps the double yellow line. A fully loaded 15 passenger van going uphill in the opposite direction hits him as he's going down and runs over his head and body, as does the 15 ft. trailer the van is pulling. He's wearing pants and long-sleeved shirt, a sweatshirt and over it all, a rainsuit.

How much blood would you expect to find at the scene?

divinewind_007

Forum Lieutenant
that depends...if he was killed instantly then probably not to much since the heart would have been stopped. If left to beat for a few minutes a considerlbe amount.

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
There is a lot going on in the way said rider is dressed that could keep it contained.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
that depends...if he was killed instantly then probably not to much since the heart would have been stopped. If left to beat for a few minutes a considerlbe amount.

Exactly, also, could be bleeding on the inside an none visible.

OP
OP
firetender

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus

If the mechanism of injury is a crushed skull, even though it would classify as instant death, wouldn't the fact that the heart was beating at the moment of impact mean there would be significant amounts of blood?

reaper

Working Bum
Depends on how far he was thrown at impact. Then there would be no blood on the scene of the crash, but where he landed.:unsure:

Hastings

Noobie
Only faint remains of blood.

The biker was wearing a rainsuit, suggesting a heavy rain. Most of it was washed away, down the hill.

Last edited by a moderator:

emtvestsquad1

Forum Probie
Only faint remains of blood.

The biker was wearing a rainsuit, suggesting a heavy rain. Most of it was washed away, down the hill.
ahh not always true i pick up homeless all the time that are layered x 6 cause thats the most efficent way to carry all thier clothing.......just wear it ... i wouldnt say there would be a considerable amount of blood on scene mostly from the crushed skull due to the actual open wound and the torso is going to be able to absorb more of a hit like that more effectively thus not nearly as much bleeding than the crushed skull that tends to be extremely vascular. <steps down from soapbox> sorry....rambling.....

Hastings

Noobie
ahh not always true i pick up homeless all the time that are layered x 6 cause thats the most efficent way to carry all thier clothing.......just wear it ... i wouldnt say there would be a considerable amount of blood on scene mostly from the crushed skull due to the actual open wound and the torso is going to be able to absorb more of a hit like that more effectively thus not nearly as much bleeding than the crushed skull that tends to be extremely vascular. <steps down from soapbox> sorry....rambling.....

Layered in motorcycle rain suits? Motorcycle helmet?

Last time I checked, those things aren't cheap.

emtvestsquad1

Forum Probie
well not a motorcycle helmet but yes ive seen them with actually kinda expensive clothing on, i would guess it was stolen from somewhere or someone......

coolmedic

Forum Ride Along
Ummmm. I'd have to guess...All of it.

Howdy folks, new here. 10 year medic, 15 months Iraq. SAH survivor, recuperated and now looking to return to EMS. My history in a nut-shell. B)