Riverside/Orange County, CA Ambulance companies & 24 Hr Shifts

Garrett Miller

Forum Ride Along
Hi Guys,

I'm just finishing up my EMT Cert and I was wondering If I could get some opinions on companies to apply for that fit what I'm hoping to find. Ideally, I'm hoping to find a two EMT rig. My goal is to get as much hands on/patient care as I can and not just be on the sidelines. I really don't want to just be standing on the sidelines. It doesn't matter if it's IFT. Any ideas on what companies may provide that opportunity in Orange/Riverside county, if any?

Also, How does payment work in California for 24 hour shifts? If i'm correct there is no OT pay, but do you at least get paid for the full 24 hours - meal breaks?

Thanks!
Garrett

Last edited:

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi Guys,

I'm just finishing up my EMT Cert and I was wondering If I could get some opinions on companies to apply for that fit what I'm hoping to find. Ideally, I'm hoping to find a two EMT rig. My goal is to get as much hands on/patient care as I can and not just be on the sidelines. I really don't want to just be standing on the sidelines. It doesn't matter if it's IFT. Any ideas on what companies may provide that opportunity in Orange/Riverside county, if any?

Also, How does payment work in California for 24 hour shifts? If i'm correct there is no OT pay, but do you at least get paid for the full 24 hours - meal breaks?

Thanks!
Garrett
Each company will do it differently on pay but a lot of them will go with a lower pay rate than a 12hr or whatever other shift they have, so everyone makes the same. It just is the amount of days that you are at work that is different. Meal breaks are when you're not running a call, very few ambulance services will guarantee meal breaks. Your best bet is to bring something with you when you're on the ambulance. If you're interested in actual patient care as an EMT you will find it's extremely limited in SoCal, as a majority of EMS is ALS based. AMR in riverside would be better than working in OC. You don't really get true patient care doing IFTs, a majority of those calls are mostly just getting the patient from one location to another, with most of the medical care needed already done. If you are expecting to be taking patients who are really sick and needing to get to the hospital for care to get better and having to utilize all your skills on the way to the hospital you're going to be disappointed. A majority of BLS skills used is moving patients to the stretcher and then to the hospital/ dialysis/ back home bed or chair.