Returning to school

Musicman

Forum Ride Along
I currently have a Bachelor degree in music which you really cant do much with. I am considering going back to school to become a paramedic and then possibly med school. Would there be anything else I should do to get accepted into med school or maybe another route to take?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Well shoot. @Gurby pretty much was put on this earth to answer your question.

Consider a post-baccalaureate program, these are course tracks that are made for people like you.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Musician-turned-paramedic-turned-premed here, AMA.

Originally got into EMS figuring I would work one 24-hour shift per week, teach some lessons, play some gigs and piece together a living that way. During medic school I decided maybe becoming a doctor would be cool. Currently applying to medical schools, so far the cycle is going pretty well and I'll probably get in somewhere!

I would definitely encourage you to take an EMT class and try it out if it seems interesting to you. It's an easy class, easy to find a job, and will give you some exposure to healthcare. I don't think it's worth becoming a paramedic with the goal of getting into medical school - many doctors don't really know the difference between EMT's and Paramedics, so it doesn't really count for as much as you'd hope. Better to just take the EMT class, get a job, and jump right into your prerequisite science classes.

Here's a good post I bookmarked about this:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/should-a-pre-med-student-go-medic.238346/#post-3077481

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
That sounds cool! Which instrument(s) do you play? Have you had time to form a band with your fellow EMTs?

Main instruments are trumpet, piano, electric bass. In medic school there was a group of us that got together to jam sometimes. We came up with a nerdy name but I can't remember what it was.... Uncle Jim and the Wenckebachs or something like that, but more clever...

canardroti

Forum Probie
Same boat as you OP. Good luck man. Your situation is more common than you think actually, my dentist got his master's in Music before doing what he's doing now.
As for me, I'm in Paramedic school going the fire fighter route.

Alan L Serve

Forum Captain
I'm thinking of goign to the local tech school in order to take classes to become an HVAC technician. The hours are better than EMS, pay is way better, and if you're late showing up people still thank you profusely and you don't have a risk of your licensing being revoked. I'll maintain my EMS status and work one day a week or something.