Returning to fire/EMS after a long time off

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I've had to take a few years away from emergency response due to getting very sick. My doctors have finally told me that I can return to EMS and firefighting. However, my knowledge has gotten rusty, and I've lost all my muscle. I've also moved to a new state.

Has anyone here done something similar? If so, would you be willing to share any tips?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
1. Get a current textbook and maybe a study guide, and start reviewing stuff.

2. Get on a fitness program that includes weight training (deadlifts, squats, presses, primarily).

3. Look into the certification requirements for the state that you are in, and do what you need to do to get your EMT cert there.

Good luck. Glad you are feeling better.

OP
OP
S

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
1. Get a current textbook and maybe a study guide, and start reviewing stuff.

2. Get on a fitness program that includes weight training (deadlifts, squats, presses, primarily).

3. Look into the certification requirements for the state that you are in, and do what you need to do to get your EMT cert there.

Good luck. Glad you are feeling better.

Forgive me for not being clear. I'm already doing all of the obvious. (I don't know you, and there's no way to read tone of voice, so I'm trying to avoid assuming that you think I'm an idiot...)

I'm more interested in advice about the emotional side of things. How you avoid having your reputation become 'that dude who almost died.' How you deal with senior personnel who patiently lecture you on how--news flash!--patients can be dangerous sometimes. How you deal with sucking it up and starting over again.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
You just dig in and do it. Be the new guy, keep your mouth shut, don't be all "we used to...."

I don't like listening to people lecture me either, but it does give you a good education on who you're dealing with, and they might actually teach you something.

As for not becoming "the guy who almost died," you have all of that power. Just don't tell them. Don't make a big deal of it, and don't dwell on what you're done with if you don't want them to dwell on it.

If you are still in a place where you spend a significant amount of time thinking about the time of illness and processing that, you could consider counseling, to help you process in a healthy manner.

Good luck to you.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I don't understand the thing about being the guy who almost died? People almost die all the time, in all professions, I don't see why it would be an issue.

In EMS we work around people who almost die all the time, now you've gotten to a chance to see what the patients are going through, and the road they have ahead of them if they survive, so it should make you a better EMT.

I say this as someone who nearly died several years ago and went massively into debt as a result. I chalked it up to well, I guess its better than being dead and moved on with my life. What else you gonna do?