Researching: ATypical AMI's

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm researching atypical myocardial infarctions for a presentation. Just wanted to drop by and see if anyone had noteworthy resources or source recommendations. I'd like to include diabetics, females, young patients, non-STEMI, the very old, and other conditions which might mask the typical crushing chest pain radiating to left arm/jaw with ST elevation.

The goal would be to educate and help medics in decision-making when deciding if patients should be transported ALS or BLS level (in systems where both automatically respond to the scene).

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Treat the patient, not the monitor.

For example, we had a pt. the other day, squeezing CP, midsternal, sudden onset while sleeping. Healthy male, 51 years old. Monitor showed sinus brady in high 50s. XII lead was unremarkable. No ectopy, elevation, or depression.
He was cool, pale, diaphoretic, writhing in pain, and oh by the way, an MD, do he could accuratly describe his pain, and give feel back to our interventions (2mg MS, and he gave pain updates q1 minute with no prompting)

I never did find out what his final prognosis was, but just looking at him, one could infer that homeboy was in trouble.

Don't just look at the monitor, look at skin signs, and listen to the patient!

it really was a good learning call.