Research & Continuing Education

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I was just curious as to how often the average EMS provider checks medline, pubmed, etc (if at all) to keep up with the latest research in their field?

I use pubmed, sciencedirect, and several other online research databases at least 4 times a week.

I am talking about Peer-reviewed research studies from sources such as the Journal of Prehospital Emergency Care, etc. ABC News doesn't count. :)

reaper

Working Bum
I check a couple times a month and catch up on reading! Plus, I watch Fox news, so I am all set!

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I was going to start a thread like this soon. Excellent.

I've been wondering about how I'm going to stay abreast of things without journal access.

I'll be getting subscriptions to EMJ one or two other journals, but that doesn't quite cover it. That's really more about having something interesting to read around the house.

I've been trying to get RSS feeds of abstracts from the major journals I like to work with Google reader, which organises most of the rest of my internet reading needs. The plan being that I'll scan the abstracts in each new issue for something I really wanna read and then try and get the full text through work or uni contacts. I've so far done it with EMJ and its quite useful but I'm having trouble getting RSS thingies from some of the major journals, presumably either I have to pay or they've not been keeping up with the times.

If I may add to the OP question a little, what journals are favoured amongst you all?

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I was going to start a thread like this soon. Excellent.

I've been wondering about how I'm going to stay abreast of things without journal access.

I'll be getting subscriptions to EMJ one or two other journals, but that doesn't quite cover it. That's really more about having something interesting to read around the house.

I've been trying to get RSS feeds of abstracts from the major journals I like to work with Google reader, which organises most of the rest of my internet reading needs. The plan being that I'll scan the abstracts in each new issue for something I really wanna read and then try and get the full text through work or uni contacts. I've so far done it with EMJ and its quite useful but I'm having trouble getting RSS thingies from some of the major journals, presumably either I have to pay or they've not been keeping up with the times.

If I may add to the OP question a little, what journals are favoured amongst you all?

Your University doesn't grant you alumni access to their subscriptions database?

As far as favorites go, I would have to go with:

Annals of Emergency Medicine
American Journal of Critical Care Nursing
Critical Care Nurse
Rescuscitation
Journal of Prehospital Emergency Care
Journal of Neuroscience Nursing
Journal of Emergencies, Trauma, and Shock
Journal of Molecular Biology

and many more.

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Your University doesn't grant you alumni access to their subscriptions database?

I doubt it. But to be honest it never occurred to me that they might. I'm going in tomorrow, I'll ask.

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Some Recent studies

Some of these are ahead of print, so be on the lookout for them.
-------------

The Relationship between Out-of-Hospital Airway Management and Outcome among Trauma Patients with Glasgow Coma Scale Scores of 8 or Less
Daniel P. Davis, Kent M. Koprowicz, Craig D. Newgard, Mohamud Daya, Eileen M. Bulger, Ian Stiell, Graham Nichol, Shannon Stephens, Jonathan Dreyer, Joseph Minei and Jeffrey D. Kerby
Prehospital Emergency Care 0 0:0

Read More: http://informahealthcare.com/action/showCitFormats?doi=10.3109/10903127.2010.545473

Helicopters improve survival in seriously injured patients requiring interfacility transfer for definitive care.
Brown JB, Stassen NA, Bankey PE, Sangosanya AT, Cheng JD, Gestring ML.
J Trauma. 2011 Feb;70(2):310-4.

Read More: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21307726

Therapeutic Hypothermia for Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest: An Update for Neurosurgeons.
Inamasu J, Nakatsukasa M, Suzuki M, Miyatake S.
World Neurosurg. 2010 Jul;74(1):120-8.

This one is not so new, but still a good read.

Read More: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21300001

Effectiveness of Prehospital Morphine, Fentanyl, and Methoxyflurane in Pediatric Patients.
Bendall JC, Simpson PM, Middleton PM.
Prehosp Emerg Care. 2011 Feb 4.

Read More: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21294628

Case report: prehospital use of intranasal ketamine for paediatric burn injury.
Reid C, Hatton R, Middleton P.
Emerg Med J. 2011 Feb 3.

Read More: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21292791

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
EMS magazine, JEMS, E-Medicine, etc...... Con-ed classes...

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
Seeing as I'm currently a university student: all the bloody time!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Sadly one of my favorite pastimes :p I have full access to a local medical school's online journal database, along with receiving Resuscitation and Air Medical Journal (and possibly going to be adding one or two of yours, medicRob). I don't watch TV, I troll at Borders and read :D

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Sadly one of my favorite pastimes :p I have full access to a local medical school's online journal database, along with receiving Resuscitation and Air Medical Journal (and possibly going to be adding one or two of yours, medicRob). I don't watch TV, I troll at Borders and read :D

Sounds like a great past-time.

@Melclin: Every University that I have graduated from has still allowed me to login to their subscription database after graduation via my student ID and password.

@thegreypilgrim I feel ya, I am finishing up on my masters and the past 2 years have been nothing but research articles, journal review, and evidence-based analysis.

@325 Medic You should check out the Journal of Prehospital Emergency Care.

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Sounds like a great past-time.

@Melclin: Every University that I have graduated from has still allowed me to login to their subscription database after graduation via my student ID and password.

@thegreypilgrim I feel ya, I am finishing up on my masters and the past 2 years have been nothing but research articles, journal review, and evidence-based analysis.

@325 Medic You should check out the Journal of Prehospital Emergency Care.

Thanks bro. I will check that out.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
People might find this to be of interest too. Its open access. Its a journal that our national paramedic body and my old uni put out. They have lit reviews, cultural pieces, that sort of thing.

http://www.jephc.com/

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Woo long time no see on this site. Ok so I have a question. I've tried and tried and tried to access the various publications but I can't figure it out really. I can access the databases via a login from my local library but I can never view the full article. I know some of these articles are more than 8-10 paragraphs :p

What are some options for access? One option would be to ask a family member for access to their University account and use that, but I'm a bit hesitant to do so :p

Or am I missing something to access these things?