Renaissance man.....

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey there Stevo! We haven't seen you around the forum lately. At least start a post in the lounge and let us know how you're doing!

you asked for it....

Once there was a way to get back home.....

I can vividly recall when , as a rookie, i asked one of the more experienced emt's about something specific, and he shot back 'i'm just here to feel up the old ladies, adding an evil laugh to my obvious shocked appearance....

so what happened to me? well here's my story....

she had just got out of rehab, and was on her way to florida. she had to go to get away, being the bookkeeper having intricate knowledge of a construction company that had too quick a rise , and no apparent sugar daddy was a threat at that time....

Two months later she came back, missing her kids, faltering on her nasal cleanliness, and a threat to both factions in that the local PD could supposedly loose their boy with a wire to some revelation she could make, the co. could go down, the feds might come to town, who knows.... this is when i stumbled in

my pals on the PD grew cold, and vielied threats from wire boy came my way via a number of conduits, i had literally placed myself in the crossfire in this stupid wod, but being that i wore the star of life painted me as untouchable, one of the good guys......i kept her sheltered from it all, and clean.....this by no means an easy effort on my part, but if any of you grasp the infernal concept of gnawing penance you know why....

that most Americans actually believe in some sort of white/grey hat scenario at all is what takes me back the most. Most think that deals are cut with the little fish to bag the bigger ones, but the reality is mid management dealers are often solicited to keep track of their flock, who go down like russian roulette. Forfeiture being all about revenue in the first place premeditates just what amount of $$$ might be associated with it, the local yokels getting a healthy cut....

Add to this the illegal manipulation of those forfeiture funds, there's some fairly stringent federal strings, by our illustrious town manager. In Nov of 2007 she tended her resignation, before the auditors the select board had chosen to hire in executive session would have resulted in her dismissal. In the local rag it reads as a retirement, all hugs and kisses....we've trashed two police chiefs in ten years over this very issue, but the general public remains motionless as long as their taxes don't rise and the snow removal is prompt ...

And so the stalemate went on, wire boy continuing his reign, responsible for one addict death i know of, with god knows how many others in the tedium. We're talking trunkloads across state lines, many zeros, people do things they normally wouldn't at this level of exchange, the lackeys and underlings that suck up to it being on both sides of the wod fence

It strikes me that if this is how it works in my small town, it's how it probably goes down everywhere else, and yet the entire validity of the wod is argued, but argued by blind sorts imho, who have no foothold in reality other than some contrived opinion they've been manipulated into with no grasp of the collusion that's escalated over decades

Long time addicts cultivate physical , as well as mental maladies. syncopy and vertigo , bipolarism, you name it....
i knew when she crashed her car that was it. but you can't tell fledgling cops anything because they'll always assume a drunk, and nobody ever kept tabs on all those diabetics that went into shock or similar situations when their thumbnail presumptions backfired anyways, so assuming the worst is apropos

they caught me trying to get to her first. the cop who bagged me went off on me a good twenty minutes while i just stood there saying nothing. He was agitated, red faced, yelling....this is the very same cop who abused her previously, better me than her i figured...
The two staties on either side of him said nothing as well, save for a number of looks of disbelief at his anger, i had landed on the emotional handgrenade

Not many are privy to a hot collar, when they literally throw one face down in the dirt, place their knees on one's back so hard the air escaping from lungs is audible, then draw back both arms unnaturally for the cuff, finally hauling the perp upwards via cuffs and hair. Many times the use of such force is justified via antagonistic tactics used to provoke the catch, and is up to the attending officers whim....most of the goodie two shoe public thinks this would never happen to them....that it's just reserved for tha Al Capones of the world...nothing could be further from the truth...

It's just plain wrong to put a firearm on a firecracker, but that's what they did here...

the next day i delivered her to the PD, with forward notification in full daylight. I was told i'd be brought up on charges of impededing a federal investigation, with the same cop running straight to the town manager over the deal. i was essentially done, and if it stuck, buried without renewal of either professional licensure i possess, or firearms, or hunting, etc....i didn't contest the firing, and laid low.......

and so they stripped me of my uniform, radios, badges, and fired me in shame. i wrote a short goodbye/no skin/ god speed note to the crew. They had removed me as a threat, and trashed my identity in the process. I went to see the boss, i know he had to do what he had to do, he always has done what's best for the crew and forever and a day will do so, he's literally been the glue holding it all together for decades now.... We had a brew and i shook his hand farewell....

Time went by,as well as many many miles on the Harley....

One day i rode up to Boss's place with garden greens in my saddlebag. After a few brews he started in on the twilight zone calls....there was the transsexual who the crew didn't know what gender to report.....the druggie code who sat straight up during cpr to state 'wtf?' and die......as well as the kid who injured himself masturbating, which of course he sent the rookie girl in to mitigate. Laughing with him over it all i expressed how i missed it. He basically told me to stay quiet, and let him deal.....one thing i have to hand the man is, the gears are always grinding away.....something of a feat in itself in our political peyton place

Linda, a veteran emt, stopped me one day, and gave me a big hug saying we'd run together again one day.....

Karen, one of the town icons, got wind of my story. She actually called me starting in with a 'STEVEN! I explained how i placed myself bettween the 'certain cop who has a hx of being a tad overzealous' and the woman he sought to take down, she understood exactly who without me naming names..... She ended with a "we'll just see about that!" with insinuations about local politics......in reality the five dudes who seat the selectboard really only take out the political trash when the old birds in power here tell them to

Even the new PD chief was sympathetic, having had to field public discontent over issues of obvious anger brought on by his loose cannon....the Fire Chief also had a good word for me, we came up in this together going back years....former crewmates shook my hand asking how i'd been, to which i'd simply say bored.... and so there was some hope brewing, my friends knew the deal, all i had to do was shut up and hide for a while

The assistant DA mysteriously dropped all charges in Sept of '07, both against her, as well as yours truly . I've been given a formal explanation, save for yet another death threat to her from wire boy stating she will be quiet, or the hammer could be dropped anytime in the future.

winter 08' came, i haven't even a scanner to know what's around me now. In the quiet of the dead winter air i ponder the irony of being the subject of my own tutelage that one does not have a rule in ems for everything, one will eventually come to those grey area's not in the book and need to decide on the spot a direction. But then again, i never did learn to color bettween the lines

The executive sessions went on all winter , the board was finally calling out the evil queen's penchant for robbing peter to pay Paul. The spectre of audits became more and more real in disseminating out town reports budget, often referred to as the anal book of lies instead of the annual report

the manipulation of forfeiture funds alone cost the town two police chiefs in our past, one who sought to bring it all to light and was buried by legalities, eventually settling for a shut up and go away detente', and the next who saw it as impossible to fight city hall due to his predecessor

what do they call it when everyone knows, but nobody speaks the evils we do? good men doing nothing seems our modus operandi

our illustrious manager even took a laptop to the town garage , and had one of the road warriors openly and publicly destroy it with a sledgehammer in the past, which any turnip could read as a 'don't you dare F with me' signal....

toward the end of the winter she tended her resignation to the board, and posted her impending retirement in the town report with flowery farewells. the writing was on the wall, and when the vultures circle executives this is how they step out, or are paid to shut up and go away via tax payers $$$ which is common, and legally speaking, cheaper...

<snip>

OP
OP
Stevo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
<splice>]/i]

so that's how the wod's works in a small town, which if it's any indication of it's extensive nature across this nation should be cause for alarm. anythine a system is creates incentive allowing for personal departmental gain mitigating public problems much of it's good intent and integrity goes south

who's the real enemy in the wod's ? i think it's us, anyone who advocates it. None of it has really given us results here in the past century save for employment and revenue wrapped in the guise of a threat anyways, the general public buying it but not asking for results.... i'll be nice and not mention the cia

spring '08. I've been told i can get back on , having humbled myself to the powers that be as being out of line.... the Queen's on her way out and doesn't care, and nobody really wishes to hear this tripe from me, they've already judged me without me saying a word....i just want to be an indian now, just do what i originally joined to do

of course there's a palpable amount of enlightened self interest in the air, as the current recession is creating something of a strain on the crew. Most of my mates are still on, with a few new faces. The boss tipped off one newby we ran with the other day of my tenure, he's in school still. I couldn't resist as he stated that he might learn a thing or two from me, smiling i shot back "I'm just here to feel up the 'ol ladies"

~S(and your little dog too!)teve~