Relocating to TX, Starting wage for medic really 10.31 ?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Very true, good point.

Side note, what is everyones opinion on San Antonio ? Im looking at it as a big population, possibly great for lots of diverse calls, lots of experience etc. Ive heard horror stories though for people that don't speak spanish down there. I definitely want to learn, Ive heard submersion in the language is the best way to learn.

You won't get better pay and benefits anywhere. Our EMS is making tremendous leaps and bounds. GREAT job security (We've added positions where many other major departments are having to make cuts). And you definitely DO NOT need to know Spanish! Yo soy gringo :D Besides, odds are someone on your crew speaks Spanish anyway.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
San Antone is busy

It is not Mexico, most people speak spanish.

I would apply maybe 2weeks prior to coming out?

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
What they said. Don't worry about the language barrier. In 2.5 years I've had maybe 10 people I really couldn't talk to. There is always someone to translate. Most of the ones that act like they are Spanish only are half decent with English but refuse to use it unless forced.

OP
OP
caliboosted

caliboosted

Forum Crew Member
Awesome sounds great, is Acadian pretty much the main ambulance down there ? I've been told of one other but that about all I know in that region.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Awesome sounds great, is Acadian pretty much the main ambulance down there ? I've been told of one other but that about all I know in that region.

Acadian and Metro are the two big privates in San Antonio. Pay is fairly similar. Acadian does IFT and county 911, while Metro does only IFT.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Well, I'm apparently getting RIFed because I turned down retention- ETS is November 2012 now. There really isn't much out here in Far West Texas or southern New Mexico for EMS. El Paso Fire or bust. Money out here is poor- my part time job makes $12 an hour on a 24/36 schedule for full time, for less than $25k a year. Not good LOL.

Hows Acadian pay yearly?

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Personally not sure but people on here seem to talk pretty highly about there pay.

There pay is good, you will here mixed reactions about the Comapny itself. Some say very professional some disagree.

While I know there pay is good, I have no idea about the other benefits maybe shfd can tell us about Medical, Dental, retirement, uniforms, such and such.

RocketMedic

After the Army, I can handle a few flaws. As long as pay is reasonable I'm in.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, I'm apparently getting RIFed because I turned down retention- ETS is November 2012 now. There really isn't much out here in Far West Texas or southern New Mexico for EMS. El Paso Fire or bust. Money out here is poor- my part time job makes $12 an hour on a 24/36 schedule for full time, for less than $25k a year. Not good LOL.

Hows Acadian pay yearly?

I'll send you a PM.

Pay is competitive and you can count on yearly raises. Benefits are decent and get better as you put in time.

RocketMedic

I'll send you a PM.

Pay is competitive and you can count on yearly raises. Benefits are decent and get better as you put in time.

PM sent, and your company's uniforms seem...familiar, somehow. I like them.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Nah. We're border patrol lol

Down here, people would probably buy that!

I'm gonna do that next time y'all show up on scene! "Run! LA MIGRA!!"

:rofl: