Registering for BDLS Online Course?

Talonrazor

Forum Probie
Anyone having any problems registering for the Basic Disaster Life Support online course through NDLSF? I do the catalog search after I am registered and it keeps showing nothing in the listings.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
:rofl:

Sorry, Basic Disaster Life Support?

Now I have heard it all. Not sure if you want to spend money on this.

OP
OP
T

Talonrazor

Forum Probie
:rofl:

Sorry, Basic Disaster Life Support?

Now I have heard it all. Not sure if you want to spend money on this.

Errr, it is free course and recommended by many DMATs as wells as the NDMS? And my DMAT requires it? The State Emergency Prepardness and Homeland Security Office recommends all EMS personnel volunteering for disaster response be certified in at least BDLS as well as all the ICS stuff and DCEMP.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Errr, it is free course and recommended by many DMATs as wells as the NDMS? And my DMAT requires it? The State Emergency Prepardness and Homeland Security Office recommends all EMS personnel volunteering for disaster response be certified in at least BDLS as well as all the ICS stuff and DCEMP.

Sorry to hear that, I was looking over the website.

It was worse than I thought.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Never herd of it before I read this post. I could care less about the cert but if its free I guess its worth some CME from the AMA. I had some time to kill and went to the website. I selected the eBDLS course. I got the following message "We did not find any products that match your search criteria. Try to refine your search to less specific criteria." Is that what your getting?

OP
OP
T

Talonrazor

Forum Probie
Never herd of it before I read this post. I could care less about the cert but if its free I guess its worth some CME from the AMA. I had some time to kill and went to the website. I selected the eBDLS course. I got the following message "We did not find any products that match your search criteria. Try to refine your search to less specific criteria." Is that what your getting?

Yea, it is. I am not sure how to find the course.

Not sure why anyone would not want to do a basic refresher on some ICS stuff and triage. It is free and gets you some CMEs. Who cares if it isn't end-all, be-all? Free is free and some basic education that you might get will never hurt.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I contacted a collegue who said he went to one and walked out after 15 minutes.

It doesn't seem to address disaster conditions so much as it seems to reinforce some basic skills and concepts that are really only useful for about a few miunutes to an hour.

edit: One of the big problems with US EMS and disasters is their skills are not really suitable to it.

I give a presentation on it actually, and I can assure you, it is logistics that decide outcomes, not EMS skills. Especially not skills that revolve around transport to a facility that may not exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

Talonrazor

Forum Probie
I contacted a collegue who said he went to one and walked out after 15 minutes.

It doesn't seem to address disaster conditions so much as it seems to reinforce some basic skills and concepts that are really only useful for about a few miunutes to an hour.

edit: One of the big problems with US EMS and disasters is their skills are not really suitable to it.

I give a presentation on it actually, and I can assure you, it is logistics that decide outcomes, not EMS skills. Especially not skills that revolve around transport to a facility that may not exist.

This is why DMATs are structured to be established like a BAS. As a National Guard combat medic, a lot of our training is pretty applicable in disaster training. Plus the military can do the logistics side as well. I agree logistics makes all the difference in the world. But having people who can do limited primary care and remote medicine in a portable facility can also help. Triage is also important as the causalities are brought in. During my BAS training, we had to triage 40-50 patients in an hour and treat them to prep for evac to a field hospital. You really need to be comfortable in those situations with ID-ME. I don't think BDLS is such a horrible idea....

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
did we ever figure the problem out regarding this?

PAFSI

Forum Probie
eBDLS

The online course has been suspended pending the release of the new version to be released two months ago. Only students preregistered for the last program may enter the website to complete the old version. Guessing if the AMA (which runs the site) works as fast as NREMT we may see the new version available by the end of the year. The alternative is attend the still offered live course, next is at the NDMS Conference 20-28 May in Nashville, TN http://www.integratedtrainingsummit.org/

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
ok thanks for the update

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
That notice was posted TWICE on the registration page. It was even in different colored font.

duncklee5

Forum Probie
Ya i also heard that this online course is suspended for some time,but as soon as this course started many people are able to take advantage online and its a great offer by this many other people who not able to join college for some reason they easily study by sitting on home.