reciprocity? (ARGGG!)

rugrat

Forum Crew Member
Hello mates,

I am in process of trying to get reciprocity with the state of Tenn. I have my EMSRB (MN EMT license) and my NREMT.

The issue I am running into?

The physical. The state of Tennessee of wants a Physician (or a PA or a nurse practitioner) to sign off that I am capable of being an EMT.

The problem is no one here seems do want to do this. :rolleyes:

My normal clinic said that it involved driving so I would need to go to a DOT place to have it done. I went to the DOT place and since I do not have a commercial drivers license and there are things in there they do not test (the ability to lift weight) they would not be able to do it.

They gave me the number for the only place they could think of in the twin cities area who would do it. I called them and they said they would do it, but only if it was a company they had a contract with and MAYBE they could do it if I was in hiring process with someone.

I called the Tenn. EMS department to ask where they would like me to go or what I should do. The woman was fairly rude and said she didn't care where as long as I got a doctor, nurse practitioner, or PA to sign off on that. :unsure:

Sorry if I am coming off a bit rantish I am frustrated! :) :rolleyes::wacko:

I know in MN when you did your physcho motor exam that was the go ahead that you were physically able to do the job...

So does anyone know what I should do?

I could wait until I move to Tenn in two or so weeks, but I would rather not push getting a job that far back...

jlw

Dirty cot jockey
So, did you find a Doc or what was the resolution here?

OP
OP
rugrat

rugrat

Forum Crew Member
Sorry I never replied back.. Moved and got distracted by school ;)

I went to clinic and found a nice woman showed her the piece of paper I needed signed and explained the predicament. She got me an appointment. I walked in with the Doc.
MD: "what can I do for you?"
Me: "I need to get this signed."
MD: signs paper "Now did you want an actual physical?" :D

ohhh and wait two months for MN to get around to mailing TN the paperwork...

Kelly

Forum Ride Along
Hi! Trying to get reciprocity in Tennessee from Missouri. Can you share the name of your clinic/doc?

Your clinicians picked up on the driving test. Everyone is telling me I have to do a lifting test, but that's not specifically required anywhere. I read the medical statement form and general rules from the EMS board. It seems like the General Duty Requirements section is informational and all that's required is a physical exam including visual acuity, speech, hearing, and use of all 4 extremities (from the section above the physician's signature line).

I was shuffled from one clinic to another, then a P.A. ordered me to dead lift and walk with a 125lb weighted wooden box... In my bare feet... Because he didn't like the shoes I was wearing. I didn't do it because I don't want 2 broken feet. Lift testing is usually done with a barbell or as a team lift with a dummy on a gurney - either of which would be okay with me as long as I get to wear shoes and the weight is distributed.

Any help would be appreciated!

OP
OP
rugrat

rugrat

Forum Crew Member
@Kelly I think I do remember something about a lifting test, but my memory is not always the best. Here is my thinking (as someone who admittedly is new and does not know too much). To get the NREMT you have to pass the skills test which is the portion that you MUST be physically able to do the job. In MN if you have the NREMT you get a state license (after you apply). In TN they have this extra document which is redundant. My thinking is it is less-liability for the state of TN somehow. Basically it is BS document. When no one would sign it in MN I called TN and they told me they did not care where I got signed or who signed, they just wanted it signed.

So what I would do it is find a clinic where they are friendly and explain the receptionist and the doc that you are an EMT that you passed the NREMT (I am guessing you have since you are seeking reciprocity) and you already had a skills test. Just be nice and explain the situation and some one should sign it for you. :)

The main thing I have discovered since moving here is if you want a job they really like EMT-IV at the least or AEMT (and Paramedic of course :-D )

Kelly

Forum Ride Along
So you didn't have to dead-lift a 125lb weighted box in your bare feet?

If the test is required, that's fine. I just want to be able to do it without risking a crush injury. Can anyone recommend a non-sadist clinician who will let me wear shoes and do it safely?