Read Any Good EMS-Related Books Lately?

EMTkels

Forum Probie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you have read any good EMS books latey, (aside from the huge textbook used in class, bleh).

I just finished reading Devin Kerrins EMS: The Job Of Your Life, and I'd give it a big two thumbs up. He has an absolutely hilarious sense of humor and talks about his most embarrassing, challenging and just plain weird calls (i.e. a guy got a whole eggplant stuck up his...umm).

Anywho, any others you wanna share?
:)
Peace!

Definantly. I have been reading

The Essentials of Paramedic Care: 2nd Ed. Its published by Brady. Very informative. Mind numbing at some points. I'd give it 1 1/2 thumbs up.

I've got to get: I'm Not An Ambulance Driver X

Hi Jon! Happy Hanukah! :)

Trauma Junkie and Shock Trauma are both awesome books (about Flight Medics/Nurses, go figure)B)

Trauma Junkie and Shock Trauma are both awesome books (about Flight Medics/Nurses, go figure)B)

I agree, Trauma Junkie is one of my favorites. Rescue 471 by Peter Canning is really good too. I think he has 2 books out now. I need to buy them, he's based out of DC... used to be in politics and he went into EMS.. fascinating...

I agree, Trauma Junkie is one of my favorites. Rescue 471 by Peter Canning is really good too. I think he has 2 books out now. I need to buy them, he's based out of DC... used to be in politics and he went into EMS.. fascinating...

He's also written a couple of unpublished EMS fiction books. Sometimes puts up chapters at his blog at http://medicscribe.blogspot.com/

Yeah, I know.. he's really good... and I meant to say CT, not DC... haha... I have DC in my head... sorry...

In Hartford, I think. Isn't there someone who posts here who also works in that area?

I read recent 4wd Hardware book. Does that count. Its for Jeeps.

Peter Canning works for AMR Hartford. He does most of his shifts in Bloomfield CT as a paid Paramedic with the volunteer ambulance which is a busy unit.

He has written -

Paramedic: On the Front Lines of Medicine - a factual account of his experiences as a paramedic in Hartford.

Rescue 471: A Paramedic's Stories - The title refers to L&M Ambulance #471. L&M Ambulance was bought by Professional Ambulance service before Peter worked there and then later bought out by AMR. I believe this is another factual account but I have not read it.

He also has a blog - http://medicscribe.blogspot.com/

If you email him he will probably email you back or post a reply on his blog. He is very active in the EMS community.

If you are ever looking for him he stands at about 6'5". (everyone looks up to him) I see him at the hospital every once in awhile he is a very quiet person.

I read recent 4wd Hardware book. Does that count. Its for Jeeps.

Only if you busted a few knuckles while you fixed your jeep. Don't forget to wash up with soft soap.

Hmm, I like that guy's blog, thanks for the link!

Rescue 471: A Paramedic's Stories - The title refers to L&M Ambulance #471. L&M Ambulance was bought by Professional Ambulance service before Peter worked there and then later bought out by AMR. I believe this is another factual account but I have not read it.

It is factual - it's sort of a sequel to his first book. I have both of them. Good reads.

I just bought a couple new books from Barnes and Noble.com as a Christmas present to myself! (even put them under the tree!) :rolleyes: One is called "The Sirens Never Stop" (I read good reviews on this), and I got one about medics on the streets of New York, called "Manhattan Medics", and the last one, that I'm sure will be my fave, a book about what else?? FLIGHT MEDICINE called "Neck Deep" After I open them on Christmas and get a few chapters read, I'll let you know how they are. Thought getting these might keep my inspiration up for medic school again. :blush:
Happy Reading!

I bought some books for myself for Christmas too. I haven't read anything in a long time, and I think it's time for me to get back into it. My fav is still Trauma Junkie... although, there are now more books out there to read, so that can change... :)

I avoid EMT or EMS dramatic litrature. Way over dramatized and so many expect the real EMS to be that way...

Good example "Bring Out the dead"
R/r 911

R/r 911

Back