Read and interpret carefully...no more ASA Q D ad lib

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8338763.stm

Now the issue is not that the ASA Q D will not potentially prevent MI, and nat that \aspirin is "BAD". The issue is that so few people really need it, and so many more people may have a bleeding issue (and I wish this nonscientific journal had specified what type of bleeding that was, GHI or generalized), that the statistical risk-benefit ratio is tipped.

Last edited by a moderator:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
The article was good because it alerts many thousands of people that they may be overmedicating themselves. The article's talking about consistent use to ward off a possible heart attack/stroke.

Why I'm responding is THANKS for the article because I've been debating with myself about doing low dose ASA as a preventative, even though I am asymptomatic of anything circulatory related.

And then, there's what happens in the field.

So, the article's good to know AND there's nothing in it that contraindicates ASAs use in emergency situations, according to established protocol.

Which, BTW, I've been in my cave so long, I don't know how it's used. Please fill me in.

RyanMidd

Forum Lieutenant
Based on Alberta NOCPs,

-Indicated by cardiac symptoms suggestive of acute MI

-Administered PO 160mg, chewed and swallowed

-Supplied: 80-81mg chewable tablets, 325 mg tablets, 500 mg tablets.

-ASA, Aspirin, Novasen, Bufferin

-Classifications: anti-pyretic, anti-platelet aggregator, salicylate, anti-inflammatory, NSAID

-(Used in conjunction with O2 and nitroglycerin, always last of the 3)

-Contraindications: hypersensitivity, gastric ulcers, bleeding disorders (i.e. hemophilia, Von Willenbrand's disease)

-Notes: ASA has been associated with Reye's Syndrome in children, and should not be administered to them.

My apologies if this is inconsistent with anyone else's knowledge. This is what I remembered at the time of the post without looking up exact terminology. But basically, we are taught that the reason for giving this in conjunction with other AMI treatment is that you are preventing the risks of FURTHER clotting (for the life of the platelets). We're also taught that administration of 1000mg+, there is no benefit prehospitally, and adverse affects may start to be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
My understanding is most NSAIDS have some help for MI prevention

Research cited in some journals has strongly suggested that the issue isn't clotting per se, but focal inflamation caused by plaque on the lumen of a coronary vessel and other related factors including Chlamidia pneumoniae infection creating a pro-clotting situation; the inhibitikon of the inflamation may be of great benefit also.
(Of course we aren't talking about VIOXX....<_<).

Can't say I ever saw someone who can't clot due to ASA, including the young woman we saw who was taking four tabs (XX gr or 1.3 grams) every six hours around the clock for stomach pain, headaches and tinnitus.

So. IL Medic

Forum Lieutenant

Can't say I ever saw someone who can't clot due to ASA, including the young woman we saw who was taking four tabs (XX gr or 1.3 grams) every six hours around the clock for stomach pain, headaches and tinnitus.

Um...did you tell her that high levels ASA cause tinnitus?