rail cot fastener?????

kreil45

Forum Probie
Ok, I don't know what its called but, the piece used to keep the stretcher locked in place wont lock. I search a lot and could not find anything. What happens is when load the stretcher the notch on the stretcher hits the button on the rail and pushes it in and then I have to pull on the handle for it to lock. I have smothered it in WD40 and check the notch on the stretcher which is out as far as will go. Don't know what else to do. Any help will be appreciated. Sorry for my typing it sucks.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
It needs adjustment and is something that is generally done by the cot manufacturer technicians who service the cots or VSTs who have been taught how to adjust them. There isn't some easy way to fix it in the field as far as I know. WD40 will not do anything to help it. The only thing that I've ever been able to do is get the button that holds it open safely depressed through the hole and if it stays open with the cot latch inside the hook I would tap on the end of the hook gently till it slams down. If you do this keep your fingers away from it. It will close quickly and with little notice.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So it sounds like the button is being depressed fully but in order for the hook to slide into position you have to pull the handle back?

Sounds like it could be a very weak or broken spring inside the handle

OP
OP
K

kreil45

Forum Probie
Yea, just found out this am that WD40 wont work. It has to a grafite type of lubercant. when i put the stretcher in to look it i can pull on the lockhand and it will lock.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Have it serviced. If it fails and their is an injury, I would not want to be the last person to have touched it.