Radical Surgery

certguy

Forum Captain
Did you guys hear the news this morning about the surgery on a 63 y/o woman who was thought to have a terminal tumor wrapped around her aorta ? I missed where it was performed , but a transplant team removed ALL her abdominal organs , put them on ice during the procedure , then reimplanted them . She looks good and should be discharged soon . Now that's an overhaul ! Amazing !

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Wow... interesting. Sure we'll find something soon online about it.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Did you guys hear the news this morning about the surgery on a 63 y/o woman who was thought to have a terminal tumor wrapped around her aorta ? I missed where it was performed , but a transplant team removed ALL her abdominal organs , put them on ice during the procedure , then reimplanted them . She looks good and should be discharged soon . Now that's an overhaul ! Amazing !

Whoa, that does sound amazing. I wonder how long the surgery was.

I'll bet this will eventually wind up on some TV drama, like House, Grey's Anatomy or something similar. A lot of their episodes have 'real life' incidents, just reenacted with love, passion and DRAMA.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Yeah JMH pretty awesome. That is just one of many amazing surgeries/procedures that have been done here. Rarely do they make the news because of respect for the patient and their privacy especially in the pediatric population. Our trauma center is also one of the best in the country.

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
Congrats Vent . Could you show a little more workplace pride though ? LOL

Really , this is the coolest surgery I've heard of in a while .

VentMedic

Forum Chief
How about this one?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/World...t/2005/01/15/1105582769530.html?oneclick=true

Baby's six-organ transplant
Miami, Florida
January 16, 2005

An 11-month-old Japanese boy smiled and laughed in his mother's arms as doctors talked of his progress from a six-organ transplant, an operation done in the United States because children's organ donations are banned in Japan.

Yosuke Ohashi underwent the eight-and-a-half-hour transplant of a liver, pancreas, stomach, small and large intestines and spleen on December 24 at the University of Miami Jackson Memorial Medical Centre in Florida.

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
That's also way cool vent . Makes me wish I wasn't on the other side of the country . It must be great to work there . God's using your facility in wonderful ways !

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
"Refusing to give up, Zepp went to the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center, where surgeons at The Transplant Institute performed what's believed to be the first operation of its kind:" HealthDay.com

Truly amazing! Just proves where there is a will there is a way!

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief