Questions regarding medic class

FireResuce48

Forum Crew Member
I'm in the I class right now in Maryland..

A few of us have been "selected" by the teacher to be able to test out for P instead of I for the Nation Registry test. We have been doing more ride time in addition to extra assignments and pretty much self teaching ourselves A+P out of one of those made easy books.

If the teacher does not think we are ready or we do not want to do it we can opt to just test out at I.

Now, to get to P if I was to test out at I would be an additional semester.

The problem I am seeming to run into is getting run around answers from other states.
The college is only giving me a certificate for completing the I classes as this extra work they are not getting payed for.

I would be a NREMT P but wouldn't have the certificate to back that up on paper.

I think I'm more or less seeking reassurance that it is wise to take the extra semester and not cram more stuff in my head then need be. As learning the material is nice but actually understanding it will make me a well rounded medic.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like a pretty weird idea mate; go to school, get your P and stay the hell away from the "AnP meade easy" or "dumbed down AnP for Paramedics"; get a proper book like Marieb.

reaper

Working Bum
If the school is only issuing a certificate for the EMT-I program, you will not be allowed to test for Paramedic. Your instructor does not get to pick who can test for it. Your school must show proof of a completed Paramedic course. If the school is not doing this, then your instructor is blowing smoke up your backside!

OP
OP
F

FireResuce48

Forum Crew Member
If the school is only issuing a certificate for the EMT-I program, you will not be allowed to test for Paramedic. Your instructor does not get to pick who can test for it. Your school must show proof of a completed Paramedic course. If the school is not doing this, then your instructor is blowing smoke up your backside!

No smoke necessary. The deal is you do the extra work you get the required proof of completing but you don't get the college credit for the courses.

Either way, I'm not going to go that route.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Or is it possible they are teaching an intermediate class with paramedic level and depth material... and for those who fully grasp it, offering paramedic certification, those who struggle (but master skills not knowledge) Intermediate.

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
Either way it sounds shaddy. You should be signed up & get credit for the level you are being taught. Is this through a Community College or University?