question

emt99

Forum Ride Along
hi all,
I have to give a presentation to my class on the "General Principals of the primary exam of infants and children", but I'm not 100% sure what that is. Is that the Initial assessment, ex ABC's? every book i looked in said initial exam, then focused, detailed, ext. but no primary. Just hoping someone can help me out so I can start this project.
Thanks......

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
hi all,
I have to give a presentation to my class on the "General Principals of the primary exam of infants and children", but I'm not 100% sure what that is. Is that the Initial assessment, ex ABC's? every book i looked in said initial exam, then focused, detailed, ext. but no primary. Just hoping someone can help me out so I can start this project.
Thanks......

Let me be the first to welcome you, Welcome to EMTLife!!!

What type of class is this? Who asked you to present?
Assuming this is an EMT class of some sort, I suggest you consult an EMT/P textbook to help you craft your presentation.
Of quick note (I am going to be corrected a million times by other forumers who know more of what they are talking about then I do), it may be important for you to discuss developmental milestones, common illnesses for each age group, when to do a head-to-toe assessment as opposed to toe-to-head, the importance of listening to lung sounds, and normal vital signs for each age group.
Again, all of this information can be found in an EMT textbook. Because I have used it primarily, I recommend Brady's Emergency Care.

Good Luck, and welcome

OP
OP
E

emt99

Forum Ride Along
thanks, it's for an emt class, but I still don't know if the Primary exam is the same as the initial assessment. IF it is, then I'll have no problem, but I want to make sure the primary exam isn't something else that I'm missing

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
In the protocols I teach, primary is your detailed exam. Initial assessment is just checking for what might kill them right now without immediate attention. Airway, big bleeds etc.

But, to be on the safe side.. ask your instructor. It is so important to be able to ask these types of questions to the person teaching your classes. The questions asked in a class are the best way to actually teach the students instead of presenting material.