question

Marty Mcfly

Forum Crew Member
Over the past couple months, the company I work for has not been providing us with pules ox's. They have also taken away numerous drugs, including versed. Yet they are allowing us to respond to calls such as seizures and SOB. Management does not care, but it's not very professional showing up and not having the right equipment. Does anyone else have problems like this??

Epi-do

I see dead people
First of all, a pulse ox isn't necessary equipment, is it? Yes, it can tell you some information about your patient, but unless you understand what that information means, isn't it just a fancy toy? It can be unreliable for several reasons, and regardless of what it tells you, aren't you going to treat your patient based upon how they are presenting? For instance, if your pt has bright red cheeks and is complaining of being short of breath, aren't you going to go ahead and administer O2 despite the fact that the pulse ox may be reading 100%?

As for the drugs, I am sure there is more to it than the service is simply not stocking it anymore, although it is possible with some private services. Depending upon what drugs you are talking about, at least in IN, the state specifies the minimum types & amounts that you must keep on a truck to have it certified ALS. Your medical director can then allow you to carry additional meds at his discretion. If too many people screw up & remedial training doesn't resolve the problem, the drug goes away.

In an ideal world, there would be a properly supplied ALS rig responding to every call, but that isn't how things work. Can you run an SOB run without a pulse ox? Most definitely! Does it make you any less professional? In my book, I would have to say no. Can you run a seizure call without benzos? Again, sure. There are plenty of areas that only have BLS units. Is it ideal? No, but until the citizens in those areas fight to get things changed, they will "make due" with what they have.

Most of the general public doesn't really understand, know, or really care what we do. Having the proper equipment definitely makes the job easier for us, and better for the patient, but just because you don't have it available, it doesn't necessarily make you less professional. Being professional is an attitude you portray through your attitude, skills, appearance, & care. You can have the newest, shiniest equipment & truck out there and still be the north end of a south bound donkey. Likewise, you can barely have what you need and make an impression on people that says you are a true professional, despite the challenges you may face.

If you are working for a service that truly doesn't care & refuses to provide the bare minimum when it comes to equipment, then I would be looking for another employer.