Question for NYS based EMS personel

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
As most of you NYS people know, we still have the EMT-D, EMT-I, EMT-CC and EMT-P levels..I am going out to college in the fall and was thinking of advancing to a higher level my 2nd year of college should I even bother with the EMT-I level or just go straight for EMT-CC? Because I know EMT-I's can do some ALS stuff..but obviously not as much as an EMT-CC..also I heard NYS wants to phase out EMT-CC and just have the basic, intermediate and paramedic levels...anyone else hear about this?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
As most of you NYS people know, we still have the EMT-D, EMT-I, EMT-CC and EMT-P levels..I am going out to college in the fall and was thinking of advancing to a higher level my 2nd year of college should I even bother with the EMT-I level or just go straight for EMT-CC? Because I know EMT-I's can do some ALS stuff..but obviously not as much as an EMT-CC..also I heard NYS wants to phase out EMT-CC and just have the basic, intermediate and paramedic levels...anyone else hear about this?

1. If your willing to go through CC training, you might as well go all the way and become a medic. There is no point to doing practically all the work and getting a lower cert. Than if you decide to become a medic, you have to repeat the same training again. Save all the crap and become a medic.

2. EMT-D is now EMT-B. I remember when EMT-D was separate but is now the basic standard of care.

3. EMT-I and EMT-CC are in fact being phased out.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
It depends on your career aspirations and where you practice. If you plan on doing this long-term, or if you want to provide the best care to ALL patients, be a medic. It takes more schooling, but in the end you will benefit as a provider, and your patients will benefit by the better care you provide. What I've seen in the field is most CC's provide 'cookbook medicine' - protocol-based care. There's not much critical thinking involved, but that's also due to the lack of education CC's receive. Lastly, there are certain skills and meds you can't give as a CC (needle decompression, crichothyrotomy, dopamine, anything with peds., etc.).

More of the urban agencies I've seen don't recognize CC's like the rural areas do. My volunteer agency runs about 700 calls a year, and has CC's on staff. They run on their own, and take it as an insult if you make note that they provide less care than a paramedic. The private agency I work for won't put a CC on without a medic, unless we're hurting for people that day.

OP
OP
E

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
well I'm going to a community college for my 2 year fire protection tech. degree taking a year off then I'm going to another community college for my Paramedic...I was thinking of getting to at least some ALS level before my medic so I can get some ALS field exp. and my main career goal is paid FF/EMT..somewhere south where its warm:p

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I was thinking of getting to at least some ALS level before my medic so I can get some ALS field exp. and my main career goal is paid FF/EMT..somewhere south where its warm:p

go through medic training and "experience" during rotations.