Quebec EMS Strike

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Can someone give me a rundown on whats going on up there? I see pictures of these ambulances painted all kinds of wacky colors but my understanding of Quebecois French is pretty poor. Seems like they are on strike often

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
Can someone give me a rundown on whats going on up there? I see pictures of these ambulances painted all kinds of wacky colors but my understanding of Quebecois French is pretty poor. Seems like they are on strike often

I can't speak on this incident itself, but I know several Canadian public safety agencies were protesting for past few years. Since they are considered essential, they can't strike. Police have been seen wearing all sorts of differing shades of cargo pants, pink, neon etc. (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-police-camouflage-pants-1.4046118) When I visited Montreal last summer, there were also a bunch of bumper stickers plastered all over fire apparatus and patrol cars. If I had to hazard a guess, it'd be that it's something similar.

OP
OP
Bullets

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Yeah, but i was looking for some insight as to how their system runs. Ive seen elsewhere that some parts are stiill voluntary? Of they only get paid for every other hour? They get paged instead of staffing the trucks?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Seems like they are on strike often
When I was there a couple weeks ago, every single ambulance I saw had at least a couple of strike stickers...not sure what was going on, because they were still going on calls (must be some sort of "no strike" clause).

My guess, just emergency calls - no IFT.