QR Code ID tags

QRCodeiD

Forum Probie
Hi it is Erin again! Michael, those are very good questions and all things we had to test. The use of the QR code in this way is a new concept. We actually have a patent pending.

Yes the codes do scan when printed on a shirt. To scan use a smartphone or iPad. There are free Apps that can be downloaded in a matter of seconds. I understand the android comes with it already. We like "QRunch It" App because they are also special needs parents and it takes a quick picture of the code. We have also used "QR Reader" which is also good. A red line goes up and down scanning the code. We came up with the back up plan of entering the unique number associated with the code in case there is not a smartphone available or if the person is belligerent and not holding still for it to scan or if there is food all over it etc.

ghost02

CA Flight Paramedic
Well then, on a personal level I rather like this. I'll email a couple of my friends that have special needs children about it, I know it would have been useful in the past. Thanks!

aberrant

Forum Probie
Not to mention potential security implications. Whatever site the information is stored on would have to be private and you'd need some way to restrict that access to only those who should be privy to it. If that's the case you'd either need some login page, or a special device that can scan the QR code, or even some medical only QR code, there's a ton of variables.

Medic29

Forum Crew Member
She stated people would have to be aware what they put on the site. All information is voluntary. No security needed if they're not putting sensitive material on the site.

I still believe its a great idea.

aberrant

Forum Probie
I could still see HIPAA having a field day with something like this, no matter how "public" that information may be.

Medic29

Forum Crew Member
Yes I can see where they would if personal identifying information is part of it without owner's consent. While the codes are unique and may be able to give out health information, they don't necessarily identify patient's by any information they don't voluntarily provide. At that point HIPAA doesn't apply.

ghost02

CA Flight Paramedic
How come, aberrant?

I am not up to snuff with the privacy laws, but I would like to understand why this could be a HIPAA violation.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I could still see HIPAA having a field day with something like this, no matter how "public" that information may be.

This doesn't apply when the individual or their caregiver decides to post the information. If I decided to post my patients medical history plus name, that would be a HIPAA violation. If I posted my own for general merriment, there wouldn't be a problem.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Despite being bombarded with QR codes from retailers and advertising agencies daily, i dont have or ever intend to download a QR app. I dont need more bloatware on my phone then i already get

QRCodeiD

Forum Probie
Despite being bombarded with QR codes from retailers and advertising agencies daily, i dont have or ever intend to download a QR app. I dont need more bloatware on my phone then i already get

We definitely understand that a lot of people feel this way. That is why it is just as easy to type in the website address and enter the unique code from any browser (phone, laptop, tablet whatever).

A lot of times manual input would be best. If the found person had Autism and wouldn't stay still, mud on the shirt etc.

Bruce
QR Code iD

Highlander

Forum Crew Member
Qr codes for dog tags would be ok. However I wouldn't like someone to Scan it and know my information.

QRCodeiD

Forum Probie
Qr codes for dog tags would be ok. However I wouldn't like someone to Scan it and know my information.

Our son has autism and has very limited speech, and Grandpa has Alzheimer's. If lost they need something to speak for them.

I do like the Dog tag idea. I will look into it. It would be tough for someone to scan without permission because the scanner would need to be approx. 5 to 6 inches from the code.

Thanks,

Bruce
QR Code iD

Highlander

Forum Crew Member
I was meaning something more along the lines of losing it such as dropping it by accident or If the chain broke. I have type 1 diabetes and wear tags that tell that I do but sometimes I take it off and misplace them.

QRCodeiD

Forum Probie
I am wondering the best ways to let first responders and law enforcement know about QR Code iD so that it can be utilized. Please let me know if you have advise.

QRCodeiD

Forum Probie
I was meaning something more along the lines of losing it such as dropping it by accident or If the chain broke. I have type 1 diabetes and wear tags that tell that I do but sometimes I take it off and misplace them.

Hmmm. That is a different situation than ours. We are all right with someone knowing our phone number, or behavior tips for our son etc.

Something you never take off like a bracelet or maybe you train yourself to wrap it around your house or car key every time you take it off. Then if you lose it you've lost your ability to go anywhere till you find it.

Bruce
QR Code iD

Highlander

Forum Crew Member
Hmmm. That is a different situation than ours. We are all right with someone knowing our phone number, or behavior tips for our son etc.

Something you never take off like a bracelet or maybe you train yourself to wrap it around your house or car key every time you take it off. Then if you lose it you've lost your ability to go anywhere till you find it.

Bruce
QR Code iD
Never a fan of wearing them in the shower. But it's still a great idea!