Putting together class on IO's

Epi-do

I see dead people
I have been asked to put together a class on OI's after having a cardiac arrest where we had problems with one. I am currently working on gathering information and putting the class together.

I was wondering if anyone has teaching material that they would be willing to share with me. I am just looking for the basic, general information to present at the beginning of class. I also plan on addressing our local protocol, and a skill practice session.

I have gathered a bunch of info to sort through, but thought if someone would be willing to share, there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. I could then go in and modify/make changes to fit with local protocols.

Thanks in advance!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
You will probably need a couple of drills and a big package of chicken legs. I'd talk to whatever agency near you uses the drills. Also the manufacturer generally has training information.

OP
OP
Epi-do

Epi-do

I see dead people
I have everything covered for the skills portion. We have practice "bones", needles and a trainer for the EZ-IO. All I have to do is go over to the training academy and get it.

I am looking for info for the classroom portion of it. I have downloaded several pdfs from the EZ-IO website. It is just a matter of wading through all of the information. Also, I have found some powerpoint presentations I am going to take a look at.

Regardless of what I find out there, I am going to have to make some modifications to it so that it fits our needs and addresses our protocols. I am just hoping to find a way to do that while decreasing the amount of time I have to put into the presentation.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I have everything covered for the skills portion. We have practice "bones", needles and a trainer for the EZ-IO. All I have to do is go over to the training academy and get it.

I am looking for info for the classroom portion of it. I have downloaded several pdfs from the EZ-IO website. It is just a matter of wading through all of the information. Also, I have found some powerpoint presentations I am going to take a look at.

Regardless of what I find out there, I am going to have to make some modifications to it so that it fits our needs and addresses our protocols. I am just hoping to find a way to do that while decreasing the amount of time I have to put into the presentation.

There is a actually a pretty good IO video put our by Laerdal. We were using it during PALS and I always received positive reviews for it ( far as far as videos go). Maybe Rid is familiar with it. I can tell you it was a pretty inexpensive video because it was only like 15-20 minutes long.

Then we would do the chicken leg thingy :) Everyone always enjoyed the chicken legs.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
There is a actually a pretty good IO video put our by Laerdal. We were using it during PALS and I always received positive reviews for it ( far as far as videos go). Maybe Rid is familiar with it. I can tell you it was a pretty inexpensive video because it was only like 15-20 minutes long.

Then we would do the chicken leg thingy :) Everyone always enjoyed the chicken legs.

If you use teriyaki sauce for the IV solution it makes for a nice dinner later.. waste not want not!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I let baby Medics use my hands, but this...fugetaboutit!

....:sad:....

frogtat2

Forum Crew Member
Ez io

While I wish I could be of some assistance, I'm not sure that I will be. We have an EZ IO gun for our rig. We have watched the video and trained on it. For some reason our boss won't put it on the rig. In spite of the videos, we still ended up practicing on the chicken bones. One of our EMT-I's, who's sanity I question, has volunteered to let us practice on her. I don't know about that!

Good luck with your endeavor!

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
If you use teriyaki sauce for the IV solution it makes for a nice dinner later.. waste not want not!

Bwahahaha! Boy Bossy............. I dunno about that............. have you ever seen what a class full of nurses can do to a chicken leg? Bless their hearts :)

Kip