Pushing meds down the ET tube

TacoMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
Since ICEMA approved the use of IOs for adult pts we no longer give any meds down the tube. No need to.

Melbourne MICA

Forum Captain
ET drugs

Waste of time and simply a measure of desperation. Can't say I've ever seen an arrested pt who made it back on ET delivered drugs alone though the ET route is still in most guidelines including ours. As others have pointed out get the IV in or use IO otherwise use diesel therapy and hope their is time for the ED docs to get the IV you should have gotten, to do a cutdown or a central line.

MM

wiggy762

Forum Probie
Gotta love the tough-love crowd...

:D

ET drugs were A-OK back in early 90's and I based my ACLS treatment steps around this route.

It was a bit of a shock (no pun) to find that they had fallen out of favor, requiring a revamp of my steps.

NAVEL was awesome, but it passes the smell test regarding the unknown-ness of hoe much drug had been absorbed.

So, why no IOs? They are the best on codes...no more worry about multiple lost IVs.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
:D

ET drugs were A-OK back in early 90's and I based my ACLS treatment steps around this route.

It was a bit of a shock (no pun) to find that they had fallen out of favor, requiring a revamp of my steps.

NAVEL was awesome, but it passes the smell test regarding the unknown-ness of hoe much drug had been absorbed.

So, why no IOs? They are the best on codes...no more worry about multiple lost IVs.

For your area, IOs are not too common simply cause BCFD and AFD are the only ones who really carry good IO devices last I checked. I think AAS only has Jemshidi needles for pedis, BCFD has the BIG, and AFD has the EZ.
BTW, good to see another NM person :)

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
ventura has a protocol for epi/atropine to be injected in the toung (IL) up to 3ml in cardiac arrest.

wiggy762

Forum Probie
Good to see you too! Go NM!

I hope that will be changing since EMSA is training on the EZ IO as well as the Jamshidi.

I hope more services move towards to the EZ IO.

For your area, IOs are not too common simply cause BCFD and AFD are the only ones who really carry good IO devices last I checked. I think AAS only has Jemshidi needles for pedis, BCFD has the BIG, and AFD has the EZ.
BTW, good to see another NM person :)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I hope that will be changing since EMSA is training on the EZ IO as well as the Jamshidi.

I hope more services move towards to the EZ IO.

CNM (When I was there in 09) was still just doing Jamshidi training. I think it's a money issue for AAS to equip all their buses with EZs though.
Although my new service here in TX uses EZs, and I have full permission to use them whenever I feel the need (eg codes, CTD pts that are hard sticks), and in whichever location Idesire.

swissmedic

Forum Probie
First we try iv access (90 sec for any crtitical patients) and then EZ-I (I will never miss this great tool). Our protocols call for drugs down the tube as an absolute last resort. If you don`t have io tools, you can try the "VEINLITE"...

http://www.veinlite.com/

I didn`t like it it, you need too much time for this tool...
matt