Pupils

Gents82

Forum Probie
Maybe I'm just having a brain fart, but help me out here with this. On our run forms, for pupils, we have a (R) & (L) box for: constricted, midrange, dilated, unresponsive, and pearl. Now...say you do your pupil assesment via penlight and lets say, one or both pupils dont react to light and they are at a midrange state. Would this be checked off as midrange ONLY? Or unresponsive AND midrange. Thoughts?

futuretoledoemt

Forum Crew Member
Maybe I'm just having a brain fart, but help me out here with this. On our run forms, for pupils, we have a (R) & (L) box for: constricted, midrange, dilated, unresponsive, and pearl. Now...say you do your pupil assesment via penlight and lets say, one or both pupils dont react to light and they are at a midrange state. Would this be checked off as midrange ONLY? Or unresponsive AND midrange. Thoughts?

I would mark unresponsive AND midrange, and note it more specifically in the narrative.

Just my VERY humble oppinion :)

April
Very sleepy and slightly drugged Medic Student

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
I would mark unresponsive AND midrange, and note it more specifically in the narrative.

After confirming that my patient had a pulse, I'd do what she said.

Last edited by a moderator:

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder

You can check more than one box and list your findings in your narative. The "check boxes" should serve as a refresher/reminder to what should be in your narative.

Painting the whole picture is the best thing you can do when completing a PCR.

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
you can check more than one box. just make sure you note everything for legal issues and watch how you word things.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Our charting system allows us to mark seperate things for each eye if needed. If you can't, just check multiples and document WHY!

Jon