public relations

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of setting up assemblies and stuff like that for my current work place. I am curious as to if ya'll had any ideas on what we could "demonstrate" to kids from Kindergarten through 5th grade. Any help would be appreciated.

Basic First Aid
When to Call 9-1-1
What EMS does

Make a touch box for the kids to get a "hand's on" of some of the stuff that is used in EMS and why we use it. i.e. B.P. cuffs, stethoscopes, bandages/dressings, eyegear, gloves, a couple of C-collers, BVM's and NRB and N/C etc. It is a great teaching tool, and with the little ones I have a big teddybear that I bring along so the little ones can "take care of the bear "with the touch box. ^_^

Make a touch box for the kids to get a "hand's on" of some of the stuff that is used in EMS and why we use it. i.e. B.P. cuffs, stethoscopes, bandages/dressings, eyegear, gloves, a couple of C-collers, BVM's and NRB and N/C etc. It is a great teaching tool, and with the little ones I have a big teddybear that I bring along so the little ones can "take care of the bear "with the touch box. ^_^

That is SO cool! I wish I'd thought of it. :blush:

Also, depending on your budget, the kids would love either matchbox-style ambulances, or paper foldable "color me ambulances" with "when to call 911" tips on them. (Available here)

You might even be able to let them "assemble their own" first aid kit in a Ziploc bag (a few bandaids, antibacterial wipes, and guaze pads, etc.)

Roberts EMS even offers Star of Life balloons.

EDIT: From my time teaching first aid to my Boy Scout Troop, splinting and bandaging are always big hits, especially for the 3rd-6th graders. Remember: Kids learn by doing. If they can't do it, they won't remember the first durn thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
teaching tools

I think it's great when the little ones want to C-spine the teddybear!!^_^
sling and swath is a close second! I also like to give all of the kids "reward" stickers afterwards for a job well done!:)

we take the rig out of service and let them play doctor soon2bemt, they have a ball

just take the batteries out of the defib...

oh and, blown up gloves make great chicken heads or cow udders....but i'd caution you here because the last time i pulled that stunt every kid wanted one

after 40 odd gloves i was the patient...

~s~

That is a great way to get children to feel at ease around emergency personel, then when if come a time that they actually need care then maybe they will remember what the things were that they got to use and explore and not be so scared! Good luck and great job!

Jenn

one thin g i like to do is get a heartsim and hook it up to the monitor. turn the monitor on and set the rhythm to nsr. gives em somehting else to look at. and you can change the rhythm and mock an emergency.

"oh no the teddy bear flatlined, charging...." they may not understand it but its entertaining if you 10.

"paging Dr. Snoopy And Woodstock" Code Teddy!!!!:p :p :p

Kids love back boarding and c-spine. They go crazy over the purple nitrile gloves. We were receiving calls from the public after our events, saying that their kids were excited about EMS and didn't want to take off the gloves.

Kids also really liked using our portable electric suction. We had two suction containers, and just rotate the container when the kid was done suctioning. Just be careful not to kill the motor like one of my 'friends' did :)

We used to give out magnets, bouncing balls, coloring books, teddy bears, but kids always wanted the purple gloves more than anything. I was able to buy an off-brand cheap on eBay, and we used those for the demos.

Educating children on 911 usage is a very important subject that you could use,and also arrange for the local ambulance service to come out there and show off the equipment they use,and talk about it.

Back