Private/Third Service Providers in WA or OR

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
Lately I've been strongly considering going to PA school, and am not really interested in spending yet more college years in California. Thinking about enrolling in one of the programs in the northwest - like University of Washington or Pacific University.

So, I'd need a job as a paramedic in either of those areas. Fire departments are sort of out of the question as this would just be temporary, so what are the private (obviously AMR, but any others?) or 3rd service agencies around there? Seattle's Medic One service would be like a dream come true, but seems basically impossible for out-of-state paramedics to get into. Any suggestions?

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I have day dreams about Seattle (king county's) medic one. *sighs dreamily* Apparently its hard to get into, period. No matter where you are coming from.

AMR, Rural Metro are the privates around here. There's a private in Olympia (thurston county) but if you are going to be up at UW, thats quite a hike.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
The atmosphere in Washington strongly favors NPs over PAs at the moment in time. I strongly suggest you talk to the guys over at the PA forum. They are just great and many of them former paramedics turned PAs.

www.physicianassistantforum.com

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Washington: AMR is in Spokane, which is also home to a PA program. I'd guess they also have a BSN and NP curriculum, but that's a guess. AMR also covers Olympia (or some private anyway) and Vancouver and the surrounding area in southern Washington. Medic 1...it really doesn't matter where you come from, it's just competitive, and South King County (the only non-fire Medic 1 provider) might end up on a hiring freeze, though that's only a maybe right now. Besides that, you won't be hired part-time, and regardless, it's a full year of class/clinical/internship time before you'll start working the street.

Oregon: Multnomah and Clackamas county are covered by AMR; you can get hired part time (5 shifts/month I think), and I think both are hiring again. They're also in Grant's Pass...but that's a commute you don't want. :p Metrowest covers Washington county...stay far, FAR away from them. Most of the coast is run by privates that are part of the Metrowest Empire; some are ok some aren't, but all are quite a ways from a PA school. Western Lane EMS (Florence; central coast) is third-service but they don't hire a lot and I think require full-time status at least initially. Santiam Memorial has a hospital based service, Treasure Valley in Eastern Oregon is third-service, and there is a hospital based service in Burns...don't even bother. Burns is literally in the middle of nowhere. There's others out there, but, as far as I know the only place in Oregon that has a PA program is OHSU (Portland, northern end of the state), and from what I know it's fairly intensive; basically you go straight through with no breaks. They actually recommend that you NOT work even part-time while going there.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Pacific U is in Foreset Grove; they're covered by MetroWest but are closer to the coast (somewhat anyway) than Portland. There is a hospital-based service out of Tillamook (can't remember the name) and Seaside is covered by a MW connected private. Still be a long drive, but worth looking at.

Last edited by a moderator:

kd7emt

Forum Crew Member
I watch these threads very carefully as I consider where I get my start. Thanks for posting the information!