Private Services - Hiring Expectations

BearChicago

Forum Ride Along
Hello all, I have question regarding the hiring practices of private ambulance services:

What do private companies expect when looking for new hires? Will they accept newly-certified EMT-Bs right out of school, or do they look for more than that (volunteer experience, etc.)?

I understand that a vast majority of what private services provide is non-emergency transfers, but I also understand that you've got to start somewhere, especially before starting paramedic training.

What steps should I be taking before I begin my EMT-B class to assist me in landing a job once I'm certified?

tjbroussard

Forum Crew Member
Tips

From my perspective, we are always willing to interview new graduates and do so with every class in our service area from the National EMS Academy. I think all of our recruiters can remember starting out somewhere and find that a positive attitude, solid work history on the application, clean background record (especially driving record) will be rewarded.

More tips:
1. Dress and groom for success...you only get one chance to impress the recruiter.
2. Be truthful on the application, even the bad stuff. Let me know ahead of time.
3. Have a professional ringtone / voice mail / email on your contact information. Its just something to get you the edge.
4. And yes, clean up that social networking site... (It may leave the wrong impression.)

Honestly, from the private sector, I consider that we are an invited guest in the EMS community and want to make that first impression with professional medics. It's my job to put the right medic in the right truck at the right place on the most difficult patient and professionally represent the other 3,000 employee-owners of our company with pride. It's just what I try to do.

PM me if I can help with anything else.

Terry