Prisoner Paramedics

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
As I previously stated, the inmate crews are red carded and have the same training as their civilian counterparts. Here in Ca, the inmates attend a training camp held by Cal Fire, they get S130 and S190 certs.

OP
OP
HotelCo

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
As I previously stated, the inmate crews are red carded and have the same training as their civilian counterparts. Here in Ca, the inmates attend a training camp held by Cal Fire, they get S130 and S190 certs.

I'm interested in their medical training, not their fire training.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Likely they have little or none considering that 1. It is CA, 2. They probably can't obtain anything beyond CPR/First aid due to their criminal records.

OP
OP
HotelCo

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Likely they have little or none considering that 1. It is CA, 2. They probably can't obtain anything beyond CPR/First aid due to their criminal records.

I'm guessing they have little training as well. Perhaps, at MOST, they're EMT-Bs.

Wildland firefighters are not required to have medical training.

If you had read the article (or even my original post), you'd see that the article stated:

The inmates in the prison's fire department are trained paramedics who were not convicted of violent or sexual offenses...

They obviously have some sort of medical training.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
No, the article was obviously written by someone who has no idea what the differences between first aid, EMT, and paramedic are.

Sorry, but I've seen one incident described as have paramedics, EMTs and ambulance drivers on scene by different news agencies. Every so often they also say things like "the fire department ambulance transported the victims to the hospital", which is funny because there are no fire department ambulances around here.

OP
OP
HotelCo

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
No, the article was obviously written by someone who has no idea what the differences between first aid, EMT, and paramedic are.

I agree. Which is why I'm curious as to what their level of training actually is.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Not only does it put prisoners to work, it provides them with the potential to have job skills and a career option when they get out.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
About 15 years ago there was a prison based EMT service which ran an ambulance. According to the news article, that service responded to the warden's mother's home.

Corrections has always been a balance of punishment and rehabilitation. Where the balance is changes. Up until the 70s they use to offer some people military service or prison. Now you can not enlist with any convition. I assume 15 years ago, there were not enough people willing to go into EMS. No with so many people not in prison with EMT cards and no jobs it is unlikely they will lower the background requirements.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Not only does it put prisoners to work, it provides them with the potential to have job skills and a career option when they get out.

Personally I would not be opposed to this.

If you think about it, an ex-con EMT has more to lose than any other EMT. They would watch their ps and qs. The reality is EMTs steal and assault people all the time. Those people had no background issues.