Prison Nurse - Prison Paramedic?

Canadian

Forum Crew Member
Hi all,

I'm hoping you all can shed some light into any prison/jail jobs that you've heard of, with EMS (not nursing.) Ever heard of a permanently stationed paramedic at a prison?

Not posting this in Employment as it's not in reference to a specific job :)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
EMT, medic, nurse. All employed at the prison near me

cprted

Forum Captain
I have never heard of a PCP or ACP employed in a prison in Canada. RNs and MDs, absolutely.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I haven't seen any posts from Mycrofft for a bit, but I believe he might know a bit about this. I think he was a nurse though.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Would you mind naming that prison so I could google it, or no? :)
Reeves county detention center and central new mexico correctional facility
Plus the jail in abq, metro detention center, hires medics

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I haven't seen any posts from Mycrofft for a bit, but I believe he might know a bit about this. I think he was a nurse though.
I worked for a large (over 5,000 imate) jail system which was forced by court order to get non-deputy medical staff in 1980. No EMTs nor Paramedic slots, just RN and various techs when I left in 2010. My understanding is most systems cross-train officers to perform as first responders to minimize staffing and to keep non-officers out of potentially dangerous situations.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi all,

I'm hoping you all can shed some light into any prison/jail jobs that you've heard of, with EMS (not nursing.) Ever heard of a permanently stationed paramedic at a prison?

Not posting this in Employment as it's not in reference to a specific job :)
Take your EMT/PCP training first then apply to be a correctional officer. Because like cprted said only RNs and physicians are employed in Canadian Correctional facilities. Your best bet if you want to work in correction is to become a EMS trained correctional officer.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
There are corrections centers near me in San Marcos and up north at WilCo that were hiring paramedics last year, so it exists, just rare apparently.