Prior to starting EMT Basics...

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Man, that seemed a little like a shut down, RR. A simple "no" about buying excessive accessories, and a tip about not forgetting basic knowledge would have been alright. Also, I seriously hope you aren't comparing a EMT program to a First Aid class.:glare:

why not. the basic emt curriculum has been reduced to little more than a bandaid course. truthfully, there is very little of the "why" taught anymore. just the mechanical mnkey skills.

MedicMeJJB

Forum Crew Member
I suppose that depends on where your training was done, if you have instructors that actually care about what you are doing and train you so that they would trust you to work on their family some day. It's a pretty wide generalization to assume that most courses have been reduced to band aid courses, and a sad one at that. Either way, the role of an EMT is great and I don't think that anyone who goes through the course and succeeds in their endeavors should be reduced to thinking that they are just a band aid technician. That's BS! We should all be here supporting each other and not criticizing and antagonizing. Positive criticism is one thing, being a snot is another.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
im not talking about a particular course(and i would venture a guess r/r isnt either).

im reffering to the national curriculum. your instructors can teach you to split the atom, that doesnt mean you can do it in the back of a truck

MedicMeJJB

Forum Crew Member
Well I'm glad I went through a course that was so much more than that. I pray you people research the courses and their repuations before taking one. Also, it's the job of more experienced providers to be patient and be willing to teach the newbies... if not how can you expecet that anything will ever get better.