Prevention of the Abuse of 911 System

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Listening to Michael Savage on the radio one night on a drive home, he suggested putting a member of ICE (Immigration and Custom Enforcement) in every hospital in the nation. While that is extremely expensive proposition, I wonder just how expensive it would be when we think in terms of the burdens of the hospital and EMS agencies being used by non-insured and illegal aliens. Maybe if we could eliminate some of that expense we could then focus on the abuse more wholly. At the very least, it is a suggestion and that's what I'm looking for; ideas and suggestions.

There is alot of abuse being done by those who are legal residents of America as well...

JPINFV

Gadfly
There is alot of abuse being done by those who are legal residents of America as well...

Nursing homes are my favorite example of this. Even if the patient only needs a foley put in, they're history is normally extensive enough to require a monitored bed, regardless of the complaint.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Nursing homes are my favorite example of this. Even if the patient only needs a foley put in, they're history is normally extensive enough to require a monitored bed, regardless of the complaint.

I see this everyday in the hospital. Unfortunately, when a patient is sent to the hospital from a NH for an UTI from a foley catheter, they are at risk of developing sepsis.

We will put them in the monitored tele unit since it has a lower nurse to patient ratio in case the patient's condition deteriorates quickly before the medications can get a handle on the infection. For many of these patients, it is a long and painful recovery. Some may not return to the nursing home as they succumb to overwhelming sepsis. It doesn't take much to kill off the elderly. So, you really don't have a lot of repeat offenders or at least not for very long. There are just so many more elderly waiting for that bed at the NH.

It is also unfortunate that one must age or become incapacitated to where you have to depend on someone else to change your pee bag.

I am an advocate for the very young and the very old or anyone whose voice is not heard by their health care providers on the frontlines.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I am an advocate for the very young and the very old or anyone whose voice is not heard by their health care providers on the frontlines.

Could have not said it better myself. The one thing that people seem to forget that at one time these the very old were once the "younger generation". These folks had hopes and dreams, held jobs, and had their family. At one time or another, these were the folks that we read about in stories, looked up to as children as our mentors..... These "old people" were our heros........-_-