Pre-Physician Assistant degrees

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys, I know there are one or two other threads about PAs, but they all seemed to be older and had run they're course so I hope no one minds if I make a new one.

I know I want to be a PA. I've worked with them before, and I'm really interested in doing it. I'm just about to finish my EMT-B Certification, and I need to look at what my pre-PA degree is going to me. I've done a lot of googling and searching, and I've gotten a lot of information. I was thinking about getting a BS in Psychology. My thought process was that it would be a little different, I could still meet the science requirements, and it's something I'm interested in so it would help me stay focused and keep my grades up. However I just found out that a school in my area (UCF) offers a BS in Biomedical sciences, which is kind of a shotgun blast of science and medical classes that leans towards preparing people for the medical field.

I'm just worried that this is kind of a cookie cutter major and won't help me stand out. But I think on the science side, it might help me prepare. Any tips or tricks from those who've made the jump to PA?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hey guys, I know there are one or two other threads about PAs, but they all seemed to be older and had run they're course so I hope no one minds if I make a new one.

I know I want to be a PA. I've worked with them before, and I'm really interested in doing it. I'm just about to finish my EMT-B Certification, and I need to look at what my pre-PA degree is going to me. I've done a lot of googling and searching, and I've gotten a lot of information. I was thinking about getting a BS in Psychology. My thought process was that it would be a little different, I could still meet the science requirements, and it's something I'm interested in so it would help me stay focused and keep my grades up. However I just found out that a school in my area (UCF) offers a BS in Biomedical sciences, which is kind of a shotgun blast of science and medical classes that leans towards preparing people for the medical field.

I'm just worried that this is kind of a cookie cutter major and won't help me stand out. But I think on the science side, it might help me prepare. Any tips or tricks from those who've made the jump to PA?

I think it really depends on what courses find your fancy. I came out of college with a completely different major than I came in expecting to get... I took classes I was interested in, fell into a major, and took the classes I needed for another major. Some PA programs (and med schools) make clear they want to see a liberal arts education before entry, and as long as you have the basic pre-reqs, prefer you to get a broad-based education that will prepare you to work in society, not just medicine.
With a question like this, you may be better off asking at a forum like SDN, at studentdoctornetwork.com

Good Luck!

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
A guy here at the hospital just finished his PA-C and started working as a PA. So...he only applied to schools like 3 years ago. He has a bachelors in information technology.

I'd take whatever I was interested in, but would help me in life. I was a biology major, for example, and my advisor recommended that I switch to Public Health, as that would also look good for fire services or hospitals or whatever else, even if I never got into graduate school.

I would assume that having a good GPA and some basic prerequisites are a lot more important than what degree you have. Also, if you're taking the GRE or MCAT for admission, take a prep course so you can get a really good score.

OP
OP
S

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
I would assume that having a good GPA and some basic prerequisites are a lot more important than what degree you have.

To me, this is the crux of the problem. And I've heard this from a number PA's I've encountered. Pick a degree that you're interested in, get a good GPA, and that will help you get in. Here's my issue. I've talked to about half a dozen PAs, and they all had Biology or Chemistry degrees. So it seems like they're saying one thing ,but doing another (unless they all just liked Bio or Chem).

Thanks for the input EMT.Dan, and that forum. I'll definitely be joining them.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
To me, this is the crux of the problem. And I've heard this from a number PA's I've encountered. Pick a degree that you're interested in, get a good GPA, and that will help you get in. Here's my issue. I've talked to about half a dozen PAs, and they all had Biology or Chemistry degrees. So it seems like they're saying one thing ,but doing another (unless they all just liked Bio or Chem).

Thanks for the input EMT.Dan, and that forum. I'll definitely be joining them.

I think you'd have a better chance with a 3.9 GPA in fire science than you would a 2.8 GPA in chemistry. Pick something you like, and you will do well. You can get a degree in say, Spanish, but still complete "pre-med" prerequisites. I really think they'll look more at how good you did in school, it shows them how likely you are to succeed in their program. Then just take the extra pre-reqs.

ethomas4

Forum Crew Member
I agree that you should get a degree in what interests you, that way if anything happens and everything doesnt go according to the plan, you will have a degree and opportunities in a field that you like. I have a "friend" that is an admissions board member for a PA school. She says that, the degree itself doesn't matter, they are going to evaluate the whole applicant. However, as PA school is becoming more of a demanded field by the population, schools are starting to lean towards saying that you must have a medically related degree (Chem, bio etc) as a way to weed out applicants. I think you will be fine with a psychology degree, maybe get a minor in bio or something.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
as others have said GPA is as important as the major because without a decent GPA they wont even look at your app. for what its worth i was an animal behavior major. in my class we have psych econ, two foreign languages, and a medievil history major.

i think the most important thing is to get your prereqs out of the way during undegrad.

also check out the physicianassistantforum.com and

and pastudentblog.wordpress.com

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Why not simply ask the faculty of the PA programs you are planning to apply to?

silver

Forum Asst. Chief

I think it would be wise to look at the requirements of some of the schools you'd be interested in. Meet those requirements (I'd also say try to take biochem and A+P if not required), and then do what you are interested in and you enjoy. The basic sciences may be easier for someone who has upper level classes, but it doesn't mean you will be worse prepared, do worse in the program, or be a worse PA.

OP
OP
S

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant

I spoke to an Advisor at one of the schools I'm considering and got a very round-about answer that sounded to me like "I'm not going to say one way or the other what degree path is better". Which honestly didn't surprise me.

I've asked a few other places, and I'm getting the same answer. A good GPA is better, but a good GPA in a science field is best. Which makes sense. Thanks for all the input. I've got another year before I start on my BS, so I've got some time to think.