Pox vaccine...

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
Vericella vaccine is a requirement for emt school. If I had a pretty bad case of the pox as a child, is it still recommended? I know that it isn't required with documented proof. BUT is it likely that I can still contract shingles without it?

I have no problems with vaccinations, its a financial issue right now since I'm uninsured. Trying to get all the other vacs too and have tuition money to start the program. Just curious.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Vericella vaccine is a requirement for emt school. If I had a pretty bad case of the pox as a child, is it still recommended? I know that it isn't required with documented proof. BUT is it likely that I can still contract shingles without it?

I have no problems with vaccinations, its a financial issue right now since I'm uninsured. Trying to get all the other vacs too and have tuition money to start the program. Just curious.

Varicella vaccine is not recommended in the guidlines for those who already have had chicken pox

You can still get shingles as it is a virus and is dormant in your body.

Getting the vaccine after having chicken pox can cause significant side effects and in the literature it is not recommended.

Usually the documented proof is a doctor simply signing that you had chicken pox as a child on your vaccination card. It is based on your word when giving the doctor your medical history.

That is all the info I can give you without actually offering medical advice.

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
Thanks vene... that's all the info I needed, very informative. I didn't know it was actually NOT recommended after having had it. It will also save me 150 bucks =)

Cindigo

Forum Crew Member
Getting the vaccine after having chicken pox can cause significant side effects and in the literature it is not recommended.

My vericella antibodies came back negative and I've had chicken pox. I'm assuming the "significant side effects" don't really apply in this case since my body is behaving like I never had it. Or, there was something was wonky with the results and they were lazy and figured meh....just give the vac, and now all my hair is going to fall out, maybe I'll bleed from my eyeballs, foam at the mouth and die a horrible painful slow death.

Not to mention, It also pushed my hire date forward, 28 days, which is definately a first world problem, but mildy disappointing anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
My vericella antibodies came back negative and I've had chicken pox. I'm assuming the "significant side effects" don't really apply in this case since my body is behaving like I never had it. Or, there was something was wonky with the results and they were lazy and figured meh....just give the vac, and now all my hair is going to fall out, maybe I'll bleed from my eyeballs, foam at the mouth and die a horrible painful slow death.

Not to mention, It also pushed my hire date forward, 28 days, which is definately a first world problem, but mildy disappointing anyway.

I think the warning comes from some rare but none the less troublesome side effect documented in a handful of cases.

There is a differenc ebetween causes significant side effectsand "death from bleeding from the eyeballs."

Cindigo

Forum Crew Member
I think the warning comes from some rare but none the less troublesome side effect documented in a handful of cases.

There is a difference between causes significant side effectsand "death from bleeding from the eyeballs."

Sir, death from bleeding eyeballs *is* a significant side effect. How dare you marginalize my completely normal, rational personal apocalyptic scenarios.

At this very moment I am crying blood and feeling quite woozy.

:rolleyes:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Sir, death from bleeding eyeballs *is* a significant side effect. How dare you marginalize my completely normal, rational personal apocalyptic scenarios.

At this very moment I am crying blood and feeling quite woozy.

:rolleyes:

No pics = No believe

Cindigo

Forum Crew Member
download.php