Powered Stretchers

Simusid

Forum Captain
My service wants to buy two powered stretchers and I'm looking for feedback on Stryker Power Pro and Ferno Powerflexx+ (or similar). The most recent thread I see with a search here is from 2006. I do see todays thread about the Stryker Power Load system, boy I do wish we could afford that but that aint happening!

So, I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has used either the power pro (or the power xt, I'm not sure of the difference) and the ferno Powerflexx+.

How is the battery life? How much does it suck when the battery is dead? Do you regret going from unpowered to powered stretchers? Do you recommend any options?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Love the Stryker. Yes, it's a little heavier, but it is also designed to be lifted by two people. Battery should never be an issue if you keep a spare in your truck. Don't regret it at all.

It's been a few years since I've used the power ferno, but I remember I despised it. If I remember correctly, it was more awkward to work with, buttons were finicky, and I don't remember being able to change the battery (I think it charged while locked into the ambulance). There may have been some other things I disliked, but I have tried suppressing that memory ;)

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I have no experience with the Ferno. We're starting to phase the Stryker's into the service and I love them. They're easy to use and save a lot of incidental lifts you don't even think about (i.e. lower the patient while awaiting a bed) and the two person load/unload is making the main lift you have to do much easier.

In general I like lots of stryker features over our usual Ferno 35-X. I like the telescoping head of the bed over the fold down ferno. I like the way the stryker folds at the knees to prop up the pt.'s legs. The fold flat side rails are easier to use in tight quarters.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
My service wants to buy two powered stretchers and I'm looking for feedback on Stryker Power Pro and Ferno Powerflexx+ (or similar). The most recent thread I see with a search here is from 2006. I do see todays thread about the Stryker Power Load system, boy I do wish we could afford that but that aint happening!

So, I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has used either the power pro (or the power xt, I'm not sure of the difference) and the ferno Powerflexx+.

How is the battery life? How much does it suck when the battery is dead? Do you regret going from unpowered to powered stretchers? Do you recommend any options?

The Stryker and the Ferno are both heavier than a normal stretcher and both require 2 people when loading and unloading.

They're nice for getting folks into and out of the unit, but are a bear if you have to carry somebody out of a house. I prefer using a stairchair or Reeves sleeve (or unwitting firefighters) if I can't use a ramp at a residence.

Also, you have to be careful when the wheels lower that they do not become caught on the tailboard. You can very easily tip over the stretcher if you do not pay attention.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
When you guys say two people, you mean one person on each corner of the cot when loading? No wonder I hate them, I always do that myself.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I've used both a fair amount and prefer the Strykers by a large margin. The Ferno's balance us just a little "off".

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
When you guys say two people, you mean one person on each corner of the cot when loading? No wonder I hate them, I always do that myself.

Yep, double lifting the stretcher will help everyone.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

Yes, one on each corner when loading and unloading a patient. They are too heavy to do with one person.

No sense in being Billy Badass (pardonnez mon Francais) when your back is on the line.

Last edited by a moderator:

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
The Stryker and the Ferno are both heavier than a normal stretcher and both require 2 people when loading and unloading.

They're nice for getting folks into and out of the unit, but are a bear if you have to carry somebody out of a house. I prefer using a stairchair or Reeves sleeve (or unwitting firefighters) if I can't use a ramp at a residence.

Also, you have to be careful when the wheels lower that they do not become caught on the tailboard. You can very easily tip over the stretcher if you do not pay attention.

+1. No stretchers up any stairs. I didn't do it before and I certainly don't now with a power cot. We have tracked stair chairs as well and they're pretty easy to use. We also have a very flexible lift assist policy that let's us call for back-up no questions asked and gets us the bariatric equipment for any patient over 350lbs (wide body cots, ramps and winch, lifting airbags, extra hands).

OP
OP
S

Simusid

Forum Captain
All excellent info, thank you everyone. It seems like people do like Stryker over Ferno. I've just phoned to ask for a Ferno demo at our station. I'm definitely concerned about mobility of the stretcher, topheaviness, handling when loaded and moving over grass/gravel/sand (we have a large beach in town). That is what I will evaluate when I get "hands on".

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Just lower it to a desirable level when moving it. I see too many people just raise the stretcher all the way and make it too top heavy/at risk for tipping (never seen one tip though). Fully raised is for loading, not for movement.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
It is a love/hate relationship. They are significantly nicer for simple lowering/raising. However, a couple of our stretchers have developed hydraulic fluid leaks under normal use, and several more have delayed responsiveness to the controls, meaning it takes 2-3 times as long for them to respond when you hit the up or down button.

I understand that back injuries are a very serious concern in EMS, but I also don't think it is possible to out engineer stupid, lazy and out of shape. The Stryker stretchers are 40lbs heavier. It isn't rocket science to subtract 40lbs from your max lift weight on the old stretchers and apply it to the new ones. My average sized 5'6'' self can load someone around 320lbs into the amb without help with the new power stretchers. I loathe doing 2 person lifts because the majority of the men I work with are 4-6 inches taller than I am, and the women who are my height aren't as strong, which causes major balance issues. It also prevents me from having a stable stance when loading/unloading.

Also, if you've ever almost tipped over a stretcher by catching the wheels on the tailboard while unloading, you're doing it wrong. The safety handle is there for a reason.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes, one on each corner when loading and unloading a patient. They are too heavy to do with one person.

No sense in being Billy Badass (pardonnez mon Francais) when your back is on the line.

I have never seen two people load our power pro stretchers... Unless for a very heavy patient 280+, maybe that's what we're doing wrong <.<

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Because it's so macho to be able to blow your back unloading it yourself :cool:

Aidey

Heaven forbid someone is actually in shape, knows how to lift, and is able to execute a lift properly. It has nothing to do with being macho. I know exactly what my limits are, and I don't push them. But I also know what I am capable of and I see no point in compromising my balance and stability by doing a double lift unnecessarily.

In the grand scheme of things I am much less worried about getting injured on a gurney lift than I am doing a lift inside of a house and carrying someone out of an area. It is much more difficult to use proper lifting technique when someone is jammed in a trailer bathroom and you can only get 2 people in the room to move the patient.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Battery life isn't horrible, depending on the circumstances. If you're at a station, keep a charger at the station and a fresh battery on the truck and you'll be good. If you're posted all day, keep a charger in the truck.

It doesn't suck all that much more than lifting the average sized patient anyhow.

I loved having power cots. Call me spoiled, but I hate risking my back (and every lift has the potential) for someone who is too lazy to walk themselves, or is otherwise not in extremis.

I went from having power cots to an agency that doesn't have them and has no interest in getting them, and I miss having them. But alas, we have firefighters who love to show off their muscles... until you run in to the odd engine crew who lies and says they're not allowed to lift.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Heaven forbid someone is actually in shape, knows how to lift, and is able to execute a lift properly. It has nothing to do with being macho. I know exactly what my limits are, and I don't push them. But I also know what I am capable of and I see no point in compromising my balance and stability by doing a double lift unnecessarily.

Why lift unnecessarily though? You've been given a stretcher that allows you to always halve the load you're lifting by using a partner. Lifting with a partner for the load and unload doesn't affect balance or stability with good communication; no more than a normal stretcher lift.

I'm in good shape and regularly lift heavy free weights (Crossfit for the win!), but I'm still not going to lift any more at work than I have to.

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Agreed. I'm in great shape and I still do a two-man lift whenever possible. There's no reason not to, so why risk it?

Aidey

The foot of the power gurney is almost identical to the non-power gurneys. How come they are suddenly being advertised as "designed for two people" ? If they want them to be used by two people they need to have bar that attaches and allows both people to have a wide grip at the same time. And it isn't an unnecessary lift. If we do a 2 person or 1 person lift, you still have to lift. The difference is how much you are lifting.

Do you usually work with someone who is 4-6 inches taller than you are? Trust me, it seriously affects stability, even with the best of communication. I recently worked with another female who is the same height as me. We did one 2 person lift, on pt about 180lbs and as soon as we did it I knew it was a bad idea. I was nearly pulled off balance because she couldn't hold her side up high enough.

I'm not advocating people be macho and disregard safety. My point is that both 1 man and 2 man lifts have risks and you have to weigh the risks before deciding which one is best.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
The foot of the power gurney is almost identical to the non-power gurneys. How come they are suddenly being advertised as "designed for two people" ? If they want them to be used by two people they need to have bar that attaches and allows both people to have a wide grip at the same time. And it isn't an unnecessary lift. If we do a 2 person or 1 person lift, you still have to lift. The difference is how much you are lifting.

Do you usually work with someone who is 4-6 inches taller than you are? Trust me, it seriously affects stability, even with the best of communication. I recently worked with another female who is the same height as me. We did one 2 person lift, on pt about 180lbs and as soon as we did it I knew it was a bad idea. I was nearly pulled off balance because she couldn't hold her side up high enough.

I'm not advocating people be macho and disregard safety. My point is that both 1 man and 2 man lifts have risks and you have to weigh the risks before deciding which one is best.

I was discussing this thread with my husband, who uses Stryker power stretchers at work. They recently came out with a policy that mandates a two person lift every. single. time. the stretcher is loaded with a patient.

I vehemently disagree with this, having two people with different strengths, centers of gravity, and height throws the lift off balance.

I am strong enough to do this job, but I focus on good mechanics with every lift, or I feel it. I do not like to use two people on the foot of the stretcher because it's unstable every time.