Possible to do medic school + bachelor's?

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
I don't know much about medic school, I was just wondering if going to medic school in addition to going to school for my bachelor's is doable? These are on top of work

thenextebell2

Forum Probie
I work full-time and go to medic school. Granted, the didactic portion of my school is part-time, thus making it more bearable... but it still becomes a challenge at times. Personally I couldn't speak to going through schooling for a Bachelor's, though my girlfriend is doing it, and it seems like as much work as medic school (depending on your major I guess)... I would say it would be possible to:

1) Work and go to medic school
2) Work and get a bachelor's
3) Get a bachelor's and go to medic school (depending on your program)

To do all three? I don't think so...

OP
OP
D

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the input. Currently I am approx 2 years away from getting my bachelors. I decided to become an EMT about 7 months ago, but because I had come this far already in my bachelor's education, I figured i might as well finish it. But it looks like Ill have to make a decision for one or the other...

thenextebell2

Forum Probie
What is your end career goal? If it is EMS, in my opinion I'd say put the bachelor's on hold, become a medic, and then complete your degree once you're working as a medic. I'm sure others will have different opinions. This is just mine. Good luck whatever you decide to do

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know much about medic school, I was just wondering if going to medic school in addition to going to school for my bachelor's is doable? These are on top of work

There were two concurrent BA-Paramedic students in my medic class. They had a leg up on some of us as they had already taken A&P and both made it thru without trouble. I personally worked full time and completed medic school. Others in my class had multiple jobs or had kids and multiple jobs. These are all anecdotes, but perhaps relevant.

Really it boils down to how motivated you are, but I would encourage you to get your degree as well! Hell, it doesn't even have to be in a related field (mine is in computer science).

OP
OP
D

Danno

Forum Lieutenant
Mine isn't either (Marketing :p), but yeah looks like I will make medic school a priority. I will most likely end up taking 1 or 2 internet classes while i go to medic school. Thanks to both of you

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I worked ft EMS while doing medic school pt or ft depending on the semester. I also did online classes towards my BS the semesters I went pt. Where I work we run maybe 3-6 calls on a busy shift so there was lots of downtime for school work.

duncklee5

Forum Probie
I am totally agreed with Medic that first you think that which line you have to choose for your future if you want to move towards EMS so leave Bachelor's or as i say put it this in a side and concentrate on your Medical.hope you understand everything.