Possibilities for a ride along in NYC, Boston or DC?

Sr Dingdong

Forum Crew Member
OK, I have a $1000 voucher from AA that I need to use by May 15th, so I am considering going to NY, Boston and Washington DC to do some tourist stuff, shopping and visiting friends sometime in Sept/Oct.
It would be very interesting to do a ride along in a big city service while I'm over there.

I'm (hopefully) gonna start a paramedic bachelor program in the fall as well, and I think it would be a good motivator to get me through it.
Not to mention I am very curious as how the Norwegian EMS system compares to the US one. I have a colleague that took a paramedic course in Philadelphia and she was very impressed at the level of the practitioners there.

Considering how many inquiries we get in Oslo Ambulance service for ride alongs, I imagine esp NYC gets 1000 times more from all over the world, and that some of the EMTs/paramedics are pretty tired of getting ride alongs.

Where would be the best place to ask for a ride along, and how do I go about asking for it? As mentioned I'll visit NYC, Boston and Washington DC. Philly could also be an option, but I don't have any friends there, so if I go there it would just be for a potential ride along.
How many days would be possible to get? Would it be rude to ask for more than one day? I'd like to get maybe 2-3 days if possible.

If someone accepts me, what should I bring along to show my appreciation? I'm thinking of getting some patches from my ambulance service, and maybe something from the army if I can find it again.
Anything else Norwegian that could be of interest for the paramedics/EMTs that bring me along?

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
<snip>
If someone accepts me, what should I bring along to show my appreciation? I'm thinking of getting some patches from my ambulance service, and maybe something from the army if I can find it again.
<snip>

When I did my clinicals, I personally brought along food each day (e.g. muffins or cookies from a good local bakery). The paramedics seemed to like it a lot. Just an idea for you.