Positive experiences with nurses - it happens!

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Two stories:
The other night we picked up a pediatric psych patient. We got to the hospital to do the transfer, and found that the nurse had already briefed the family, printed up directions to the receiving hospital for both us and the family, got us a full set of vitals upon arrival, and was generally attentive and helpful. It made our job that much easier.

Another nurse earlier in the day was very similar. 94 yo pt, conscious but unresponsive after a stroke, going to hospice. The nurse gave us an excellent report upon arrival, had already moved the furniture out of the way and lowered the bed to our gurney height. Then she hopped right up and helped us move the patient onto the gurney as well.
Usually I have to chase someone down to do a lift assist.

--

Those were just two experiences on Saturday that made things easier for us. Most of the nurses & ER staff that we encounter are friendly and helpful. Maybe it's just my partner & I. I don't know.

how about the rest of you guys? Got any happy stories to share? ;) I know that we all have the bad ones, but let's hear a few good ones.

C'mon. I know you can do it.

And no, "Dude, I bagged this hot nurse at the bar near the ER!" doesn't count. That's another thread entirely, you perv. :p

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I came from a hospital backround and I would like to say YES!! I have worked with and met some really wonderful nurses along the way, It funny you are posting this because I just got done reading about the life and works of Florance Nightingale, WOW what a woman!:)

OP
OP
fm_emt

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Hah. And so far, you're the only reply. :p So either my attempt at being overly cheerful was TOO cheesy..

or y'all run into a lot of evil nurses. heh.

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
or y'all run into a lot of evil nurses. heh.

Hospital nurses are mostly great. It's the vast majority of SNF nurses that... well... make me wonder if they got their nursing license from a guy off the street trying to make a quick buck so he can score some meth.

There are some exceptions, of course. Ran into one the other day.

It's probably racist and discriminatory to say this, but country of origin and ability to speak and understand English seem to directly correlate with competence or lack of.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Why you don't have more responses

Well, you kinda disqualified most of my "positive" experiences with nurses... Like this one time, at band camp....

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Well, you kinda disqualified most of my "positive" experiences with nurses... Like this one time, at band camp....
I wouldn't have expected anything less of you, Luno....

"When the bus is a-rockin', don't come a-knockin'" ;)

OP
OP
fm_emt

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Hospital nurses are mostly great. It's the vast majority of SNF nurses that... well... make me wonder if they got their nursing license from a guy off the street trying to make a quick buck so he can score some meth.

There are some exceptions, of course. Ran into one the other day.

It's probably racist and discriminatory to say this, but country of origin and ability to speak and understand English seem to directly correlate with competence or lack of.

I agree with this 110% - and you're right, we ran into a language barrier last night and it greatly impacted patient care. IE, these SNF people didn't seem to care at all. At least we did.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I wouldn't have expected anything less of you, Luno....

"When the bus is a-rockin', don't come a-knockin'" ;)

Heck NO...if that bus is rockin....Go ahead and knock...shoot, join'em if you want!!! :p :p